• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification.

pests Bug Id Requested.

So far I've had a very productive year. no problems at all. over 400 chilies off 10 plants indoors and I'm happy to say the least. However a few days ago I noticed some webs on one of the plants. I thought nothing of it thinking it was just spiders. But today I took a closer look and it turns out there are thousands of these little bugs all over this plant. The plant itself does not look damaged in anyway at all. But I'm just wondering are these little critters just baby spiders or some bigger threat?
out.jpg

zoom.jpg

spider mites

aj beat me to it. lol.

these guys are tough to kill. but not as tough as aphids. only way i killed these things was an application of malathion. couldn't find an organic alternative to this. killed them after several weeks of application on my plants. if only there was an organic alternative for this problem in my country. =(

to completely eradicate spider mites once they are established (and it seems they are established in your case) is nearly impossible IMO...

good luck with getting rid of them...since they are mites, most of the stuff that kills aphids doesn't work on them...

so not a good thing then. As they are only on one plant at the moment I may just kill it off rather than bugger about with pesticides, specially as the end of the season is near.

so not a good thing then. As they are only on one plant at the moment I may just kill it off rather than bugger about with pesticides, specially as the end of the season is near.

make sure you dispose of that plant far far away from the rest of your plants. =D

You might still want to look for a pesticide. If your other plants were near that one then the other plants most likely have them. They are a pest that just wont die...

I'm taking it down to the apartment complex's bins straight away and then soaking the pot in bleach.

i'd soak the plant in bleach too. lol. wouldn't want it to spread to someone else's plants. then have it come back and bite you again. might happen. =D

pretty good article on spider mites and how to treat for them...

http://www.bugspray.com/articles99/spidermites.html

I think a little experimentation is in order. I would isolate them (if possible) and try different methods of killing them to see what might work. Could be useful information because of the possibility they may return later.

pretty good article on spider mites and how to treat for them...

http://www.bugspray....pidermites.html

Thanks AJ.

I think a little experimentation is in order. I would isolate them (if possible) and try different methods of killing them to see what might work. Could be useful information because of the possibility they may return later.

Bugger that for a laugh. I live in a small apartment, isolation is not possible. besides I've already trashed the plant. If I had a garden of something then perhaps I would give that a try.

Update. Seems like the swift action of killing off one of the plants has saved the rest. been almost a week with no further signs of activity on any of the other plants. phew.

Predatory Mites eat Spider Mites, not sure about using them indoors but....they are predators of most plant feeding mites and do not injure plants or bite people. Once they run out of food, they simply starve to death.

http://www.beneficialinsects101.com/predatory-mites.html

seems like i still got some mites of my own. damn things are hard to kill. gotta apply more of that pesticide. =(

i hate using pesticide. but i have to.

Back