• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

condiment Building a new salsa

Started building a new salsa today.  Basically chopped all the onions peppers and garlic and threw it all in a big jar and covered with vinegar.  All this is now setting in the sun, hangin' out, getting to know each other.  They will remain here for a couple days.

When I do step two, I'll post more photos.  I won't burden you guys with the particulars till it's done and rests for a couple weeks and I try it.

Harold
null-21.jpg
null-22.jpg
null-23.jpg
null-24.jpg
null-27.jpg
null-28.jpg

Patience, gentlemen.  This is only the first or two major steps in this process.  All that vinegar doesn't end up in the salsa, and a bunch of other stuff does.  And you are right... It might suck.  That is why I didn't want to burden you with the details.  At the end, if it's good, I'll post the recipe.  If it sucks I'll tell ya that too....

Harold

[SIZE=26pt]OK, here is the update.  It turned out pretty good.  Kinda sweet/tangy, pretty good heat, a little hotter than commercial "Hot" salsas. I think a good "general purpose salsa.  Good to put out at a gathering for chip dipping, throwing on tacos/fajitas, etc.  Here is the recipe and a couple of pics of the end of the process.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=26pt]Harold.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=26pt]Ballza Salsa[/SIZE]
 ​

[SIZE=large]Stage One[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]1 lb rough-chopped fresh chilies  - 50% jalapeños, 50% cayenne. If you are concerned with color, use all red or all green peppers. (Or all jalapeños and add 1 tablespoon of -ground cayenne. Also, if you are feeling adventurous, add 1-3 habaneros, or a ghost pepper, or if you’re really ballzy a scorpion pepper or Three. How hot do ya want it sunshine?)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]½ lb rough-chopped assorted sweet peppers (Bell, Anaheim, etc.)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]2 large onions – chopped[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]10 garlic cloves chopped
2-3 cups of white distilled vinegar and (More if needed to cover)
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Mix everything into large glass jars. Cap and let rest for 24hrs - pref in the sun.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=large]Stage 2[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]Drain off vinegar and retain. Dump into a large wok (or big pot)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Add:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]- (Optional) 2 teaspoons of my hot pepper powder or dried crushed red pepper (Depending on what kind of fresh peppers you put in)
-1 tablespoon oregano
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]-3 Roma tomatoes (or 2 large) diced[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]-1 tablespoon kosher salt (non-iodized)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]-2 12oz. cans of tomato paste[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]-1 1/2 cup white sugar
-1 tablespoon cumin
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]-2 cups of retained vinegar and 2 cups of pineapple juice or apple juice (or anything else that you like, mango, papaya, etc.)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]-3.  High heat until mixture is boiling hard ... then low heat for reduction, about 20 min. Add equal parts of juice and retained mixture during the cooking process to maintain desired consistency. (I like to start out a little soupy)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]Bring back to a low/medium boil and quickly hot can in canning jars and boiling water process. Store as you would any canned food.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Note:  If you want more red color you can add a tbsp. or so of paprika while it is cooking.  Doesn’t really affect the flavor.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]
null-29.jpg
[/SIZE]

null-30.jpg

null-31.jpg
null-32.jpg

Back