• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Bulb question

Starting to build a grow box. Ran across a cheap T12 (48") fluorescent light fixture this weekend at a yard sale. Ok well it was an $80 fixture for $20. Everything was new in box. Came with two 34W cool white Sylvania brand bulbs. Looked them up and bulbs have a 4200K color temperature. Will this work for growing seedlings or do I need to get different bulbs? Was hoping theyll work, but if I have to, Ill get new bulbs.

Justin at Home Depot the shop lights sell for little less than that. I bought the 6500k bulbs also that fixture will also use T8 I believe as well ( not sure on T5) However by the time I plant out the leaves take on a very dark green look and almost stunted so maybe Im incorrect in the color temp -- HD may also have grow lamps as well

T12 fixture will take T8 tubes, T5 and T5HO will NOT work in either T12 or T8.
4200k will work for starting but you might want to mix half 4200k and half 6500k.

LUCKYDOG said:
Justin at Home Depot the shop lights sell for little less than that. I bought the 6500k bulbs also that fixture will also use T8 I believe as well ( not sure on T5) However by the time I plant out the leaves take on a very dark green look and almost stunted so maybe Im incorrect in the color temp -- HD may also have grow lamps as well

I must have a FUBR'ed Lowes....I checked Saturday at the Lowes in my Town and cheapest thing they had in 48" was a $25 single.:crazy: Plus bulbs.

Home Depot is a little bit of a ride. If the bulbs will work til transplanting time, then Ill live with paying $20 for the fixture and bulbs....if not, then Ill buy new bulbs and still have to live with paying $20 for a fixture......Mind you it wasnt a run of the mill shop light....had a fancy "shade/cover" for it which obviously won't be used. lol

HA! Just checked the website and entered my local store... and got this message about the "Daylight bulbs"

Unavailable items are not stocked at your local Lowe's, but may be available at other nearby Lowe's stores. Check these nearby stores or contact your store for more information about product availability."

I live in the fastest (or was) growing city in one of the top five fastest (growing) states in the country....home of the Lowes Home Improvement Corporate Headquaters....and can't get a dang light bulb lol

EDIT: Just did a search for "daylight bulb". Found a 32W 2 pack....6500K....for $7. Seems good enough. Guess I'll run get them and save the others for a rainy day.

You can also get them at Walmart if that is closer that home depot. I use the Phillips 40w 6500K myself. I bought the 10 pack for like $20 I think over at home depot. I just use the basic shop lights that they have there and they are about $9 each. I currently have 8 of them and will be getting more for next year. I agree with mixing what you have with the 6500K bulbs. That way you don't have to replace them all. It will work just fine.

Good luck!
jacob

Back