• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil Bulk Soil Mixes Thoughts

There's a place I just found that sales soil mixes in bulk they have a product called White Lightening that sales for $46 a yard and it includes the following ;

Worm castings
Mushroom Compost
Steer Manure
Fruit and Veg Compost
Leaf and Grass Compost
Sand
Pumice
Top Soul
Micro Fungi

and another called Portland Blend for $39 per yard it has everything except

Worm Castings
Mushroom Compost
Steer Manure
Micro Fungi

What do you guys think of these mixes for peppers. I love the price seeing how I need to fill 100-125 5-7 gallon pots. Are these usable? Should they be amended further? He said PH is 7.0 - 7.1 a little on the high side.

Sounds better for a raised bed. I dont think the air porosity of that mix would be suitable for pots. Better off using Pro mix Bx or Hp then adding fertilizer.

Peat will add water retention. Those ingrentients sound nice and rich and with 20% pumice stone that is a good deal you found!!!!!

Good ingredients for sure, but it all depends on the ratios. If it's 90% topsoil for example, it would be bad for pots.

You gotta make sure it drains well. Can you buy a bucket of the mix, put in a test plant and see how it performs over a couple of weeks? Maybe a second plant with 25% perlite added...

You gotta make sure it drains well. Can you buy a bucket of the mix, put in a test plant and see how it performs over a couple of weeks? Maybe a second plant with 25% perlite added...

Yea I intend to do just that he has it in the 1.5 bags and I intend to pot up my trial plants in it. But apparently my discernment on how well solid drains isn't very good because I'm having problems now with soil draining issues. I just don't know how to tell .

I guess I thought good drainage was pretty simple. After the medium is hydrated, any additional water should drain out in a reasonable time with no pooling. I know Perlite helps with drainage.

"But apparently my discernment on how well solid drains isn't very good because I'm having problems now with soil draining issues"

With soil you already have, or the new stuff? In pots? People say how bad Miracle gro soil but I use it and add 50% peat/perlite/lime mix. I keep it simple. The soil you found is a good price and I am all about keeping it local so if you can get soil close by thats good. I just think if it really is 20% pumice stone I would buy it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well like I said I'm buying a bag to take for a test drive and will see how it does .. But I am stoked about the price. He did say he woulsn't use it in smaller 3-4 inch pots? He said in 5-7 gallon pots no probs.

Well like I said I'm buying a bag to take for a test drive and will see how it does .. But I am stoked about the price. He did say he woulsn't use it in smaller 3-4 inch pots? He said in 5-7 gallon pots no probs.

Although organic, it seems to be heavy in composts/manures which likely means its high in nitrogen. Probably best to mix this in a garden or ammend/dilute it for pots

Although organic, it seems to be heavy in composts/manures which likely means its high in nitrogen. Probably best to mix this in a garden or ammend/dilute it for pots

+1

I hate to say this but I never use compost in a potting mix. The plant uses up the compost micro/macro nutrients then now what you have left is muck. Just wet roots quik to cause disease. Light potting mix, added fertilizer. Now in the ground my soil is so nice I dont fertilize and get a lot of peppers!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for your input all. I am looking for something that is cost effective. There's another place that has a 3 way mix they sell the nurserys but I forgot what was in it. I should of wrote it down lol. I could combine the two. Or amend the one. I'm buying a bag of it to try. I will pot up a couple of the ones I got here and see.

I always use compost/ manure in my pots once outdoors but mixed with promix or similar. It brings the soil alive adding lots of microbes and other organic beneficials.

Back