• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Bummed over Jamaican Blunder

Planted a whole mess of seeds that I thought were true scotch bonnets, turned out to be Jamaican Squash Peppers. 7 squash pepper to 1-2 scotch bonnets! 

Kind of bummed about that, could use some pepper therapy. 

Yup, that always sucks when what you're growing doesn't grow true. Did you buy the seeds? Get on the blower and give 'em a piece of your mind!

Yah getting something other than what your looking for is a real bummer, I have had that happen a few times myself, as stated before I hope you didn't have to buy the seeds.

Spicy Mushroom said:
I had this happen before. Fortunately I liked the surprise! I thought I bought a Thai but it ended up being a Pequin :)

The surprise is fun at first but the novelty wears off pretty quick. ;) Especially when you know what you want, fork out the clams, spend a whole season growing it and it turns out to be something entirely different. :mad:

Oh yeah no doubt! It was okay in my case because it was a common Home Depot pickup here and Pequin isn't. I'd be devastated if it was a specific rare one I wanted.

Fortunately I did not pay for them. My pepper-bookkeeping is so bad that at least I think I did not pay for them. The squash peppers look good, taste great considering I am not into super-hots and there is always seeds for the scotch bonnets. Im only a bit upset because I used a grow box to grow four plants. Glad to hear it happens with other people. Half of depression is thinking it only happens to you. Here are some pics. 

http://imgur.com/a/ytZLn

Yup that sucks!  Jamaican Mushrooms are always sold as "Scotch Bonnets".   I've been through this exact problem before I found THP.  Later in the year I'll send you some true Jamaican Scotch Bonnet seeds that originated from the Ministry of Agriculture in Jamaica,  known on here as " MoA Scotch Bonnet".  I'm sure you'll have to remind me cause I will forget :high:

Many thanks to you, I will be reminding you later in the season. I plan to go to Jamaica next month and will see, taste, smell what I am looking for. Perhaps get some MOA's of my own. 

Jamaica is an amazing experience.  Was there a couple years ago in Negril.  I dream about the day I can make it back there.    Should def bring back pepper seeds and non pepper seeds :shh:

Glad you said that what is the position on taking out peppers or hot peppers seeds? More importantly, what is the position of the United States in such an endeavor?

I'm not 100% sure about customs and their rules on seeds.  I'm sure if you claim them you'd be fine.  However  I'd just dry em out the best you can and slip them into a pocket of your pants or shorts in your suitcase.  They won't be looking for pepper seeds coming out of Jamaica,  trust me lol.  They'll be sniffing around for something else.

So, that is what MoA stands for?  So, when someone in their glogs show a picture of a MoA, it means a Scotch Bonnet from the Ministry of Agriculture in Jamaica? 

Dang those pictures do need work, is there a site that is all about matching what is in your hand to a picture. I can use some info on some other peppers that got mis-labeled. 

Spicy Mushroom said:
Oh yeah no doubt! It was okay in my case because it was a common Home Depot pickup here and Pequin isn't. I'd be devastated if it was a specific rare one I wanted.

Funny how bad things sometimes work out for the best..... ;)

I will say this, I chopped up one of the pseudo- scotches and they are incredibly delicious, somewhere between a habanero and a jalapeño (yeah I know its a wide range). The heat is strong, but not madness. As soon as you think you can't, it goes away. Perfect my level of preference. 

Back