• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

BUMPER'S FLOG

Not wanting to photobomb other's fine food threads, I figured I would start one up of mine.  

Sunday roast seems like a good way to start.  Today is pulled pork.  

Rubbed pork shoulder, about to go in for a slow cook for 6-7 hours.  Rub is brown sugar, garlic powder, celery salt, onion powder, dried sage, smoked paprika and a few dried cayenne peppers blitzed.  

[/URL]">http://

Yeah, it got in the way of brewing, so I just turned lemons to lemonade and bought automated brewing shit ...
4 day would be awesome, I have to admit!

Are there pics of the new gear in your thread? 

will have a look now.  

grantmichaels said:
Yeah, it got in the way of brewing, so I just turned lemons to lemonade and bought automated brewing shit ...

4 day would be awesome, I have to admit!

Time we put some food back in here.  A couple of birds - was going to rotisserie outside but ended up in the oven.  Brined for 5 hours in salt, garlic powder, mustard powder and brown sugar.  A few hours in the fridge after draining and drying with paper towel. Marinade with lemon juice, the new cherry smoked cayennes, paprika, celery salt, dried thyme, dried sage and olive oil.  

IMG_0770_zpshevzbebj.jpg

^^^ :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

Great looking chooks there Bumper..... how do you get those dark crusty bits on the skin..... is that a result of brining?

Thanks! No, dried sage and dried thyme in the marinade with the dried powders can clump a little and makes for tasty crunchy salty bits.

Tinnie said:
^^^ :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

Great looking chooks there Bumper..... how do you get those dark crusty bits on the skin..... is that a result of brining?

Feels like it must be almost time for a fresh brewing post!

I'm planning to ping you soon for a some kind of favorite of yours, to brew =)

I was mostly just waiting until I had cold storage, and then for the contest to end more recently ...

CHEERS!

I know I know!! I have a double batched promised and intend to deliver.  Work has been owning me the last couple of weeks.  It's a long weekend here, so should be able to make it happen.  Happy to trade recipes at any point!

grantmichaels said:
Feels like it must be almost time for a fresh brewing post!

I'm planning to ping you soon for a some kind of favorite of yours, to brew =)

I was mostly just waiting until I had cold storage, and then for the contest to end more recently ...

CHEERS!

Agreed. It is then a shared experience which is always better, you can also get feedback on your beers to refine them. Pick a style and I'll bring up my beer smith over the weekend and type some out for you.  

Elijah Craig bourbon is hitting fast, missed lunch today working on papers…  

I'll have to look again in the morning, but the 1st place I checked didn't have the grain bill from that recipe using those names ...

I'll check more closely tomorrow, though ...

North american 2 row will be hard to find I think.  May need to do some substitution but the others are pretty standard.  Odd they didn't have them

Bumper said:
North american 2 row will be hard to find I think.  May need to do some substitution but the others are pretty standard.  Odd they didn't have them

I plan to check a couple of places from the iPad when I make it to couch time later on ...

It's PORK SUNDAY!!!!! here at Bumpers place.

I seem to post food in every other forum thread rather than here, but found my way back. After getting some more bacon on to marinate this morning and salting down some skin for crackling, I just pickled 3 pounds of daikon radish and carrots in a sugar vinegar syrup -  4 jars into the second fridge.  I'm making vietnamese pork rolls for our lunches for the week, more to come. Making pork liver pate next, with an asian style pork roast marinating now.  Also doing a japanese miso pork belly and vegetable soup for dinner. 

IMG_0881.jpg

Nice ...

I'm about to get drunk on my brew and try to figure out how to make HS with pods from D3 and fuck off instead of work and just work tomorrow instead of brew, lol ...

Sometime's you'll have that!

grantmichaels said:
Nice ...

I'm about to get drunk on my brew and try to figure out how to make HS with pods from D3 and f**k off instead of work and just work tomorrow instead of brew, lol ...

Sometime's you'll have that!

You will notice I am still yet to brew.  The cooking is going on between backwards and forwards on typesetting documents for work… good times.. 

Here's a link to what I am making - not the same recipe as I build mine from the best of the individual recipes I found for the pickled carrot and pork liver pate.

http://www.chow.com/recipes/11211-pork-and-pate-vietnamese-sandwich-banh-mi

Pork liver pate done and cooling in the fridge.  Soaking it in milk gives it such a rich smooth flavour.  Basically cooked 2.2lb liver with garlic, chinese cooking wine, fish sauce and 280g butter. It is intense, this lot will last us for months.  Most will go in the freezer.  
IMG_0883.jpg

IMG_0886.jpg

Pork roast on the go...

Marinated in a spicy salt of star anise, coriander seeds, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, thyme leaves, sichuan pepper corns and cloves.  

IMG_0884.jpg

Roast done 

IMG_0887.JPG

Back