• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Buncha MALARKY 2017

Welcome to my first Glog everyone. This is my second grow. Thanks to the generosity of the THP community I am in possession of more varieties of seeds than I'll ever be able to grow. I have limited yard space and I try to keep things cheap to make this hobby less annoying to my wife.

So I'm located outside of Madison, WI. Zone 5a/4b
My goal is grow a wider variety of heat this year.

First 4 varieties Soaking:
-Aji LemonDrop (contest)
-Aji Amarillo
-Peruvian Red Rocotto
-Aji Oro

NL7ZIfE.jpg

It's just the beginning. I need to grab some more of these cups for soaking.
Thanks for looking in. At a MINIMUM, I'll update once a week.

Malarky said:
So I also tried putting the heat mat under the C.chinense's. Their roots did not like it at all. Many root tips turned brown and died, more fresh white roots were eagerly growing down to replace them so I think all is OK.

That's one way to root-prune... ;)  Glad your plants survived the experience and are looking so well! It's fairly cold down in my cellar, so I made a grow box to surround the shop lights I set up on a table down there. It's not fancy, but I made it out of styrene board faced with aluminized mylar and duct tape. The idea is that it creates an enclosure that gets warmed a bit by the waste heat from the lights inside. Cheers!

Hey Matt, how you doin'? Not a fan of the Ides of March, or did you take the family to Dizzney?

None of my black seeds have popped yet, I have great expectations from them.... 

Hey thanks for inquiring. My kids have been passing the stomach flu back and forth for the last 3 weeks. The only thing I've really worked on lately is laundry.

Thankfully I think we're better. I'm hoping to find some time to take pics. Everything is growing up and I'm going to have to give some away soon. I'm running out of room under the lights. My plants are showing signs that they're unhappy in their solo cups. I've got some gallon pots that I hope will keep them happy till dirt day.

That and I need to find more lights. 

hopefully those Pube seeds will pop soon. I germed mine on paper towel. probably took a little longer than my chinenses. but I had pretty good percentages germ.

Just knowing they tend to take longer makes me feel better. I really want some rocotos, already dreaming of recipes...

Sorry about that flu, we haven't been sick up here in several years. One of the positives of being so remote...

Light technology is getting cheaper. I'm waiting for bottled sunlight to become available for the low price of.....

well I'm still long over due for a full photo update but i've potted a few plants up to gallon pots. I still need to check my water's pH too as i'm still seeing interesting leaf curling on a number of plants. But I'm excited for my first flower of the year!(at least bud that opened and didn't just drop off.)
Aji Oro
lEBW9GL.jpg

i don't see much for pollen granules in there. I diddled the flowers a bit and give them a shake and I don't really see any pollen released. Is pollen production greatly effected by basement temps/humidity?

Malarky said:
well I'm still long over due for a full photo update but i've potted a few plants up to gallon pots. I still need to check my water's pH too as i'm still seeing interesting leaf curling on a number of plants. But I'm excited for my first flower of the year!(at least bud that opened and didn't just drop off.)
Aji Oro
lEBW9GL.jpg

i don't see much for pollen granules in there. I diddled the flowers a bit and give them a shake and I don't really see any pollen released. Is pollen production greatly effected by basement temps/humidity?

Thanks for posting the pic of the Aji Oro! Now I know what mine will look like when they happen. Cheers!

Made some jelly this weekend using Peter Stanley's Blueberry/Madballz recipe tweaked.
1.25# Blueberries
~8oz rhubarb
7oz Bahama Goat SB
4.5 cups sugar
1 cup ACV
box of surejell pectin

all of the fruits/peppers were frozen.
kaEkISv.jpg

LJTEOJ8.jpg

k7zSKL1.jpg

8vdW66C.jpg

This stuff is really good! Its a really accessible heat level. And I completely forgot how good Bahama Goat Peppers are!
They are soo fragrant and tropical. The pods are large, thick and awesome! I knew there had to be a reason when I listed it as my favorite in my profile. I have 2 OW bahagoats. I hope they survive transplant outside in a few weeks!

Does anyone out there have a good recipe for a hot sauce that would showcase The Goats Flavor?
I probably have a couple of pounds to work with still. Or I'll just make jelly out of them all. I did dehydrate a few pods this weekend too.

I'm thinking I may have gotten a questionable bag of FFOF this year. Echoing what another contributor has said.(I forget who).
It just seems a little dense compared to last year. And I think I've had a couple of plants get dangerously close to damping off. despite bottom watering and having a fan running for 12 hours a day. Its been my first experience with what might be damping off. I also have a light white fuzz of a mold or fungus on the surface of many of the solo cups. (i'm not really worried about it, its just there). I've got 2 Aji Pacay that I'm really watching and keeping the fan on because they seem a little wobbly too and are younger.

I had an emergency this weekend... I had a nice sized Aji Amarillo in a solo cup snap at the soil surface when I pulled it out from the lights to water. It had been a little wobbly for quite a while but it just snapped right off. the roots in the bottom of the cup looked nice and white but the tap root at the break looked sickly. I spotted some new baby white roots like 1/4 inch long trying to get into the soil around that sick tap root so I quickly mixed up a batch of my OW grit (half granite/ half Napa Floordry) and defoliated most of the stem. I soaked the grit and stuck the plant in there and put it in some indirect light. After sulking for about 24 hours it seems to have perked up. I may just see how my grit works as a propagation medium now and play the long game with this plant. see if it will make it to OW for next year.

Nice pics, and that jelly looks delish! How is the heat level? Did the Aji Amarillo make it?

Nice to see early pods on your Aji Oro. Keep 'em green buddy!

I would say the Jelly is "Fun" for non-chileheads. It's awesome. I always bawk when it comes to the final amount of peppers I add.

Here is the Aji Amarillo...it looks like its going to pull through. It seems to be forking and growing still and there hasn't been any wilt since the emergency pruning and transplant. I haven't looked to see if the roots are growing, i'm afraid to screw it up. I'll wait to see the roots out the bottom of the cup. I'm thinking I may treat it like a pet until next year. I like its form right now.
EHGuknD.jpg

flZwwVU.jpg

here's a crappy dark picture of my south window in the guest room. Aji Amarillo on the left. Key lime toward the right. There a bunch of pubescens on the bed behind me getting a little less direct light.
c4Vikk2.jpg

OW BahaGoat pod that still growing. I'll be soo happy if it grows past the runt stage!
lEpW1NB.jpg

Back