• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Burgandy Okra

3714785901_0d59aef415_b.jpg

Burgandy Okra,has anybody grown this?I'm trying to get viable seed from these 2 pods.I'm not sure at what point the seeds will be mature.I had few seeds to start with,only got 2 plants.I know they are picked at 4-5" for best flavor...How long do I have to let them go?I'd like to get them picked so I can eat the rest!
Is this variety best pickled,or fried,or used in gumbo?

Not sure man, not an okra expertbut a big fan, guess I'd let those just go as big as they'll go for seed. Have you eaten any that size yet? Just wondering, you know how tough some okra can get when it gets big.

Very cool variety of okra plant. I'd vote to try it in a soup or gumbo first.

Scott,those are about 6 or 7"I'm sure pretty tough.I wanted to make sure I got plenty of seed before I eat any,byt they are probably sapping strength from the plant now!

You have to let the pod get woody and hard then harvest the seeds. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that when you let okra go to seed the plant stops producing (kinda like pole beans).

Nice!So I'm woking it backwards a**ed!Oh well,I was wondering why I got bud drop!I'll cut them up and throw them in the gumbo bag.get a freash start.Thanks.

Ciao scoville-

Wow, yeah, Florida, that's where you're supposed to grow okra, not up here in Tundra-land. I got a few seeds of that variety in a trade and grew them all, but ants earlier in the season decided they liked the taste of the plants' epidermis and I lost several. I have 4 okras still holding their own, but only one flower so far. I have a tiny little pod growing now. I think I'm going to do what you're doing since I only have 4 okras and just grow for seed this year. Now that I know they're a tasty food for ants, I'll be ready with the diatomaceous earth next year.

Back