• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Burpee vs Jiffy pellet germination experiment

I bought a Burpee 10 cell self watering seed starting system from Home Depot for $3. It came with 10 Burpee coir pellets. It has a dome and a mat that wicks the water from the bottom to the pellets. It's very cheap and flimsy plastic. I soaked my remaining 5 scorpion seeds over night and planted 2 in the Jiffy and 3 in the Burpee. They were put over a heat mat with the dome on. Once 3 had sprouted they were put under fluorescents with the dome off. The 2 Jiffy's and 1 one of the Burpee's sprouted first. But right away the Jiffy's looked healthier and grew faster and never looked back. They are at about two weeks since planting and I have been putting them outside during the day to harden them. The Jiffy's are ready to be transplanted and the Burpee's  are small and weak with very slow growth. I know it's a very small sample group but in my environment with these methods and system, the Jiffy pellets are the clear winner. I only used purified water for the test.

I also put one small clone from an older scorpion plant in a Burpee just for kicks as you can see in the picks. I took the clone out of the Burpee and it's growing roots, very surprised since the mother plant had lost most of its growth and the stem was thick and old, but I did scrape it. The pics are with my phone, I'm horrible at taking pics.
s5jrfd.jpg

23qx62u.jpg

10xbux1.jpg

2qk8dau.jpg

A lesson I have learned myself. Pure coir is not a good seed starting medium. It really needs to be mixed with castings or compost and a little bit of perlite to work well. There is also a big difference in root structure between 100% coir and a coir mix.

Thank you guys for this comparison.  This years bumper crop went into those cocopots about a week ago and zero sprouted so far.  After reading this I transferred them over to rapid rooters.  Thanks again!

Thats quite a big difference!
I have a few seedlings in burpee coir pellets at the moment (just starting to get their first set of true leaves)...maybe i should think about putting them into potting soil sooner rather then later...
Germination has been fine in the burpee's though

Back