• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Butch T Scorpion ripening stages/colors

What are the normal ripening stages/colors of a Butch T scorpion pod?

Do they go from Green to Red or do they turn yellow before turning red?

Mine have gone from green to yellow  and I'm wondering if I actually got Yellow Butch T seeds instead of the red variety or if I just need to wait for them to ripen longer.

sounds like you have yellow pods..
they will usually go from green to red, maybe some orange along the way..
they will not go yellow, then continue to red.

do they look like these ?
photo-4.JPG

nzchili said:
sounds like you have yellow pods..
they will usually go from green to red, maybe some orange along the way..
they will not go yellow, then continue to red.
Thanks for helping confirm my suspicion. I didn't think much of it when I first saw a bit of yellow but now that some pods have completely turned full yellow I realized what happened.
moruga welder said:
do they look like these ?
attachicon.gif
photo-4.JPG
The pod shape varies a bit on the plant but most have that same shape but are yellow.

nzchili said:
green to red :)
image_zps4bde69fe.jpg
Thanks for the visual and that's what I expected to see but I've definitely concluded I've got yellow pods on this plant. It was the only plant I grew out from my supposed red butch T seeds. I didn't plant any yellow podded peppers this year and regretted it so I guess this worked out in a way.

I'll post a few pics in a bit. Ate a quarter of one sliced up with my dinner... yum!

Here's one mid-ripening with a nice stinger.  Most pods on the plant have a similar phenotype to this but there are a few variations.

The big one front and center here is one example of a different shape 

Here's an immature pod that looks to be taking a similar shape to the big guy above:

Here's the one I picked yesterday to sample.  It started to get a red tint to it as it got more and more ripe.

One of those halves went into the dehydrator, the other was sliced in half again to get two quarters and had one of those last night with dinner and saved the other for today.  It had a good sweet taste, not too floral and definitely strong heat.  The room where my dehydrator is running has a very pleasant fruity/spicy aroma right now.

Back