• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

heat ButchT is the hottest

I ate a butchT today, was scorching but second time doing it. Second time was so much easier, just a few tears and a lot of pain and the endorphin rush. Not your everyday pepper but was amazing! Processing a video of it now :)

Your frickin nuts! In a good way. :lol:

My mouth tells me the Butch T Scorpion is hotter than Bhut. :) Scientific enough for me. lol.

+1
Its been the hottest pepper known for many years now and I don't see any current stable variety being hotter.
Remeber all the years of searching for these Chris? Now they are the "hottest" fad

I will post a link for the video when it is uploaded, should be here tonight! :)
I have noticed a lot of people seem very scared of this one when I talk to them, but it's only the first time you try it. Once you take the leap of faith all is well! I had some of my normal home-made sauce tonight with dinner, could hardly feel any heat in it, I believe the ButchT scorp once again has raised my tolerance :) yay!

edit: will post tomorrow.

A slightly more factual story via Australian Geographic.
SHU numbers are very high on all varieties. I wonder if they are grown/stressed to be extra hot, maybe the environment and the worm poo, or maybe the testing is calibrated differently?
The misleading part of the article is the "created" part
"Some brave Australians have created a scorching chilli that's too hot to handle without protective gear. :(

I've always thought the Trinidad Scorpion Butch T strain was way hotter burn feeling to the Might Bhut jolokia

from what I understand about the Bhut testing that was done is that very few ever tested over 1 mil...most were in the 800,000 range...can you show me where you found a lot were tested over 1 mil? very curious...

Hey AJ, not saying a bunch tested over, just saying if the "average" was 1,000,000 then mathematically that means that just as many tested over 1,000,000 as did the ones that tested under 1,000,000. And I am sure the butch, douglah, and several others are hotter on average. My only point was that peppers like the viper that are now listed in Guinness as the hottest pepper, from what I read, were not tested anywhere near as much as the bhut. It just seems like the testing for what is TRULY the hottest pepper is getting kind of less stringent in the testing.

:) all good my friend

Out of endless plants on literally acres, only one pod, off of one plant, scored the 1,000,034SHU (or whatever that was).
The average Scoville rating of a Bhut is 650,000SHU (according to multiple articles I've read over the years). the result of the Scorpion was out of selected few pods. I'm sure somewhere there's a hotter pod. the Scorpion, like the Bhut, is a stable variety.

If that is the case Omri, then I am way off base. The reason I posted was because everything I read the past few years indicated to me that the average bhut taken from several pods from several plants averaged over 1 mill. Is this incorrect?

Here is an article I had read on it. This "mean" testing was http://www.chilepepperinstitute.org/chile_information.php
Look for the link "Bhut Jolokia HortScience Article"

I have taken the liberty to copy the part of the article you referenced...and I am trying to be helpful and not an A-hole...but if you read carefully, the only place the term mean is used is for the O hab....the others say it possessed and recorded...

The HPLC analysis revealed that orange habanero had a mean heat level of 357,729 SHUs,
which is in the range normally seen for this cultivar in Las Cruces, N.M. (Table 2).

The results of the analysis for ‘Bhut Jolokia’ indicated that it possessed an extremely high heat level, 1,001,304 SHUs, whereas ‘Red Savina’ recorded a heat level of 248,556
SHUs.

Independent tests confirmed this high level of heat for ‘Bhut Jolokia’ with 927,199
SHUs and 879,953 SHUs from Southwest Bio-Laboratories and Ag-Biotech, respectively.

IMO, this is misleading to a lot of unsuspecting buyers...I honestly don't think the Bhut Jolokia has ever been tested that high again...if it has, then I will stand corrected...from what I understand, most of the Bhut tests came in under 1 mil but they chose to select the highest test for the record books...does that seem like a mean?

It makes no difference though because when it was tested, it beat the then world record holder Red Savina almost 2X...and you have to remember this was 2005...6 years ago...several varieties have been tested and surpassed these testing numbers...

The old battle of who is the hottest, baddest pepper on the block will continue until the end of time IMO...but as true pepper afficianados, we know the truth...the scorpion is the hottest that we currently know...and Derek (potawie) and Chris (cmpman1974) knew this a long time ago...

I have only been growing the scorpions since 2008 and was convinced at my first bite this was going to be THE new world record holder some day...

Let us remember the old Red Savina record - 577,000SHU~. a result never duplicated. most Red Savinas are at the 100,000SHU-250,000SHU range, like most types of really hot C. chinense. the record is never for the average heat level, but for the highest ever documented.

and I am trying to be helpful and not an A-hole...

Very helpful and I don't think you could be an A-hole even if you tried to be AJ :)

The old battle of who is the hottest, baddest pepper on the block will continue until the end of time IMO...

I fully agree...whatever becomes the "next" will only be there for a period of time and something new will come along..that's why this hobby is so much fun among many other things!

The old battle of who is the hottest, baddest pepper on the block will continue until the end of time IMO...but as true pepper afficianados, we know the truth...the scorpion is the hottest that we currently know...and Derek (potawie) and Chris (cmpman1974) knew this a long time ago...

I serioulsly think the battle has finally hit a plateau. The 7-pods and scorpions were always know to be the hottest landrace types around and now they are in the spotlight and its finallly being proven. I don't think there will ever be a landrace type as hot although I'm sure there are hundreds of people trying to cross 7pods and scorpions in attempt to cash in :(

Bhuts were recently tested for 1.1 million average at a chilli farm in Qld, the same company cultivating large quantities of the ButchT scorps. Just so you know ;) and oh yeah it is very high, no idea how.

Another article from the Newcastle Morning Herald.

http://www.theherald.com.au/news/local/news/general/morisset-chilli-could-be-worlds-hottest/2131808.aspx

Back