• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

hot-sauce BWW's Blazin' Sauce

Defcon Creator is right. Don't get worked up in the numbers as they're only a VERY rough guide. Here's more points:

1. It's extremely difficult to get a halfway decent SHU count on a liquid using HPLC. There's been lots of accounts from sauce makers who have sent in samples of the exact same sauce (and marked with different labels) into labs and have gotten totally different SHU ratings. And I mean the differences were WAY off, like 3,000 on one, 30,000 on another, and 300,000 on the third.

2. Yes, peppers can effect people differently. I've eaten habaneros at times with little problems, but some jalapenos have just slayed me.

3. The amount of sauce applied AND what you eat something with can drastically effect the perceived heat level. If I were to eat three bhut jolokias straight I'd be in some serious pain for about a half hour. Last year I took that same amount of bhuts to Pizza Hut and put slices and slivers of them all over a personal pan pizza and ate them comfortably.

Same goes with sauces. You get enough of it in your mouth, or just take it by itself, and the residual heat can be quite hot. Again, perception can play into this.

4. Just from personal experience, I do happen to think the BWW Blazin' Sauce is pretty hot.

5. The SHU rating is what BWW gave me. Take it with a grain of salt. I can only report with what info I'm given. It's not like I have liquid chromatography equipment in my basement, you know. :)

6. You know, I've received more e-mails and comments on BWW's Blazin Sauce SHUs than any other topic I've posted about on my website, by far. People routinely chew me out and say, "BWW Blain' Sauce is nowhere near __________ sauce!!" Well, I've personally tasted __________ sauce and thought it was nowhere near Blazin' Sauce's heat level. :lol: It's my word against theirs, so what are you going to do? :)

Bottom line, do not get caught up in the Scoville Unit horse race. Try numerous sauces and eat what tastes great to YOU and what heat level is right for YOU. Fuck everyone else. :lol:

Yeah dude, I totally agree. I just had to shift my mental paradigm a little bit though...

I guess the scoville scale is a bull shit concept outside of a lab.

I can't imagine eating 3 bhuts on a pizza... that's like 5 habs, at least... OMG :mouthonfire:

I wouldn't say complete BS, but there is a lot left to be desired with the actual numbers. If something is ranked in the many 100's of thousands of SHU's, chances are it's gonna be hot. I just don't like seeing many people fall into the SHU trap, and think that the actual numbers are gospel. I had posted on another thread a while back that our Zero was tested, and came back with the SHU's of a Cayenne pepper. I did get a good laugh at the results, but then wished I hadn't spent the money to find out that the tasting was so off.

I think the Blazins are crazy hot, but the taste gets lost from the regular Wilds. And yeah Mango Habanero as an all around is pretty tough to beat for all around taste with some heat. Had some yesterday actually, followed up with some Wilds. By the time I get to the sixth Blazin, I'm usually hurtin. :)

Back