• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

BY topping and pruning I've created a monster

Awesome plant, I still say you can't get 4 generations from a Chinense in a year ;)
I think anybody from Delaware ought to stand down when it comes to the topic of extended growing seasons and what can/can't be done somewhere else.

Whether you believe the guy or not is irrelevant to the fact. He can clearly grow peppers. From what I've seen, he's a better grower than I am, and I will guarantee you that I can grow 4 generations a season in my climate. Therefore, I'm not sure where you're coming from, or why you're breaking his balls. But you should really stop, because it's getting old, and you're just coming across like a dick, at this point.

solid7 said:
I think anybody from Delaware ought to stand down when it comes to the topic of extended growing seasons and what can/can't be done somewhere else.

Whether you believe the guy or not is irrelevant to the fact. He can clearly grow peppers. From what I've seen, he's a better grower than I am, and I will guarantee you that I can grow 4 generations a season in my climate. Therefore, I'm not sure where you're coming from, or why you're breaking his balls. But you should really stop, because it's getting old, and you're just coming across like a dick, at this point.
Greenhouse and indoor grows are here, talking about outdoor growing I agree. 

Any way I will move on and take the higher road. An extended grow season has nothing to do with what we were discussing ;) 

Chewi said:
:high: :high: :high: :high: :high: :high: :high: :high: :high:

Nice plant! Here in Texas we usually get about 365 days per year.
Can confirm.

Edit to add: so just trying to understand. You grow mother plant. Pick ripe pod, plant seed from said pod, and repeat? I have no doubts that it can be done with your conditions, the fertility of tepin, and your ability to keep it healthy; just making sure that's what is constituting a "generation" here.

twilliams386 said:
Can confirm.
Edit to add: so just trying to understand. You grow mother plant. Pick ripe pod, plant seed from said pod, and repeat? I have no doubts that it can be done with your conditions, the fertility of tepin, and your ability to keep it healthy; just making sure that's what is constituting a "generation" here.
A generation has nothing to do with a mother plant, at least not in the sense of taking cuttings from a plant and rooting them. A cutting from a mother plant will be a genetic clone, not a new generation.

Say you cross Pepper X and Pepper Y with X. The fruit from that plant is now Pepper XY. Plant a seed from Pepper XY - that is F1.

Grow F1 to a fruit bearing plant. Pull a seed from that fruit and plant. That is now F2.

Grow F2 to a fruit bearing plant. Pull a seed from that fruit and plant. That is now F3.

At least that is my understanding. Would love someone to confirm that or correct me.

twilliams386 if that is your understanding then forget my post :)

Voodoo 6 said:
Really nice plant, great job. How often do you water it? What kind of nutes are you using? Cheers!

It along with all the front garden is on a drip system twice a day for 20 minutes.  Soil is always moist or the onion, garlic and eggplants will die.  I use a mix of bone meal, blood meal, epson salt and miracle grow to be honest.  Dump them all in a 5 gallon bucket and mix then scatter a little of it over the garden every few weeks.
twilliams386 said:
Can confirm.

That is how I've done it as well as how I understand the correct way, I could be wrong but I'm happy with my results.

millworkman said:
What's the main stem look like?  She shure is purty.
Base of plant just taken with quarter for perspective.  Notice the dropped pods laying around.

PLAPVy3.jpg

austin87 said:
A generation has nothing to do with a mother plant, at least not in the sense of taking cuttings from a plant and rooting them. A cutting from a mother plant will be a genetic clone, not a new generation.
Say you cross Pepper X and Pepper Y with X. The fruit from that plant is now Pepper XY. Plant a seed from Pepper XY - that is F1.
Grow F1 to a fruit bearing plant. Pull a seed from that fruit and plant. That is now F2.
Grow F2 to a fruit bearing plant. Pull a seed from that fruit and plant. That is now F3.
At least that is my understanding. Would love someone to confirm that or correct me.
Nuclieye said:
It along with all the front garden is on a drip system twice a day for 20 minutes.  Soil is always moist or the onion, garlic and eggplants will die.  I use a mix of bone meal, blood meal, epson salt and miracle grow to be honest.  Dump them all in a 5 gallon bucket and mix then scatter a little of it over the garden every few weeks.
That is how I've done it as well as how I understand the correct way, I could be wrong but I'm happy with my results.
Ok yeah this is how I was understanding it. Right on man

That is awesome, you ever think of selling the extra peppers? I am sure someone would snag them up. Super nice stem btw.

austin87 said:

Hate to hijack but im new and could use the clarification.

"Say you cross Pepper X and Pepper Y with X. The fruit from that plant is now Pepper XY. Plant a seed from Pepper XY - that is F1."

What specifically is the "crossing" process? Cross pollination? 

A more specific example...

Lets say I have a bell pepper and a habanero growing side by side. Does the cross happen during pollination where it potentially creates a bell pepper with heat on the bell pepper plant? From that point you take the seed from the hot bell, plant it,  and it grows hot bells (creating an F1)? I've read a bit on it and sounds like cross pollination is rare in this form? 

Thanks! 

seussiii said:
Hate to hijack but im new and could use the clarification.

"Say you cross Pepper X and Pepper Y with X. The fruit from that plant is now Pepper XY. Plant a seed from Pepper XY - that is F1."

What specifically is the "crossing" process? Cross pollination? 

A more specific example...

Lets say I have a bell pepper and a habanero growing side by side. Does the cross happen during pollination where it potentially creates a bell pepper with heat on the bell pepper plant? From that point you take the seed from the hot bell, plant it,  and it grows hot bells (creating an F1)? I've read a bit on it and sounds like cross pollination is rare in this form? 

Thanks! 
Almost. It does happen in cross pollination, but not instantly. If plant A flower is pollinated by plant B flower, then plant A flower produces a fruit, ideally that fruit will bear seeds with genes from both plants. Those seeds will, ideally, produce plants and fruit that have characteristics of Both parent plants. Find a fruit with the most desireable characteristics, plant the seeds from that, and continue the process until the entire plant has your desired traits.

twilliams386 said:
Almost. It does happen in cross pollination, but not instantly. If plant A flower is pollinated by plant B flower, then plant A flower produces a fruit, ideally that fruit will bear seeds with genes from both plants. Those seeds will, ideally, produce plants and fruit that have characteristics of Both parent plants. Find a fruit with the most desireable characteristics, plant the seeds from that, and continue the process until the entire plant has your desired traits.

That makes sense. So technically the plant A fruit that was pollinated from plant b will most likely produce a normal "plant A" fruit but you will have to replant the seeds from that fruit to see what characteristics blended?

seussiii said:

That makes sense. So technically the plant A fruit that was pollinated from plant b will most likely produce a normal "plant A" fruit but you will have to replant the seeds from that fruit to see what characteristics blended?

Not technically.  It's just like when a woman gets pregnant.  She doesn't change to look like the father.  The fruit will always look like the plant it is grown on, the seeds will carry the changes.  

That main stem looks awesome.  I love how all the little sprouts are growing underneath also.

Forgot to mention the other thing I find odd about this cross.  Seeds planted in full sun out here do not do well at all.  Chiltepin in the wild really benefit growing under a "nurse" tree and live for many many years.  The original seeds I started this cross with I picked from a few wild plants between Phoenix and Prescott I found many years ago.  They are still growing today under sweet acacia trees.

The plants in the picture are on the east side of my garage and only get direct sun from 0700 to about 1300 then its shaded by the roofs pitch.  Even totally under the eve with zero direct sun ever it's thriving and needs constant pruning.  Leaves wilt a little more between watering (see pic) but shade has little effects on it.  Not true for my Jalapenos or Serranos.  Are there any other very shade tolerant peppers that could be an interesting next cross try?

eP5LeCU.jpg

ThePepperTrent said:
Don't you just love harvesting in this heat? HAHA. I think it's something only AZ people can understand. It gets hot elsewhere but not AZ hot... Great looking plant holy cow! What part of PHX you in? We used to grow the biggest sunflowers in Happy Valley. How is the taste on that cross?

I was born and raised in Phoenix. I'll gladly take Arizona hot over 90s and 90-100% humidity here any day. I hate Illinois weather. 

D3monic said:

I was born and raised in Phoenix. I'll gladly take Arizona hot over 90s and 90-100% humidity here any day. I hate Illinois weather. 
I was born and raised in Indiana and I would say only 3 months of the year would I rather be back there.  Our humidity does come up along with 113 like today.  It sucks but when the humidity comes back up the plants thrive again.  They don't like the hot and super dry much.

Back