• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pubescens C.Pubescens

If you can find some one that has access to the USDA Grin Data base or  if you can, they have a lot of varieties and descriptions and some photos. Also I believe a member here as grown a brown variety and if I remember right there is a white variety that is floating around.
I've tried to grow them several times and really like them, but Missouri is not compatible for them to produce anything but a small handful of pods in late September and we get our killing frost in the middle to late October. So I end up trying to over winter them, but since I moved I no longer have room to over winter any but my few wild peppers, speaking of which C. cardenasii and C. eximium are the only relatives of the rocoto/manzano that will cross with it. Both eximium and cardenasii will cross with a C. baccatum.
I don't know if anyone has tried back crossing and then trying to out cross using C. baccatum to add variation then back crossing again to make a new variety.
As much as I would like to try to breed a new pepper variety by doing all this myself at my age it would be too long a process to devote that much time and space, but a younger person might just be able to work it all out.

I have the Brown and the White. I got the White seeds late so that will be next year. The Brown is doing well. The San Diego coast is moderate and the Pubes love it. I have about 6 Cardenasii. I never thought about crossing those. Tiny berry with a big pod, mmm, where is Spicegeist?

Brown Rocoto. Not much yet.

may 28 027.JPG

pepperproblem said:
I have had them under flouros also for maybe 3 months. Then they grow really fast!I went out and looked at my Pu.......... the Turbo has a few flower buds. It is only about 6 in at this point. The other types do not. Anyone know much about the Turbo as a early producer, or? 
attachicon.gif
http://thehotpepper.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=5534]may 28 045s.jpg[/url]
Yes...
RSCN0629.jpg

RSCN2728.jpg

The San Isidro flowers faster than ornamental annuums!! Crazy plant...
ResizedImage951360179584860.jpg

There is really much more Capsicum pubescens out there than many think.
Strated collecting Capsicum pubescens in 2007 at that time I could find about 34 diffrent Variations. At the Moment my List has grown up to 648 they are not all unique and some are doubles, also a lot are my own Selections and Hybrids  but allready much more Variations then I could have imagined.
Can check out my facebook page there are a lot of pod pics from 2011 and 2012 https://www.facebook.com/pages/rocotoeu/498399310170974

I want to put up a normal Webpage but the database Software is not working at the moment so that will be a while until that is up and running.

Fun fact is also that you can find many diffrent names in the literatur that is supposed to be used for Capsicum pubescens but you can not find those online and people that I sended to markets all over South America all came back telling me that noboady knew those names or that it is used for total diffrent peppers but not Capsicum pubescens.

Greetings

Alexander

Hombre, what do you think contributes to the great success you have with pubescens? I wouldn't think Germany would have the best conditions for this species but I have seen your success on other forums as well as this one. My goal was to get a mature plant and root structure as early as possible and hope for the best late in the season when the tps cool down?

Before I started growing peppers I did not belive that any peppers can grow in Germany :)
I have found that really important is the fertilizer and that Capsicum pubescens have to be treated diffrent then other Capsicum sp.
I keep high N Levels at all times because the Capsicum pubescens grows even while setting fruit. I see many people reducing N after pods set and they often get yellow leaves soon.
I also treat more P then I would do others Capsicum sp. and you can really see that they react to it.
K is important too but there I do not give any extra only the main supply and that it is.
Light and heat are important . Capsicum pubescens reacts to these to more then other Capsicum sp.
The problem with high heat and direkt sunlight at the same time is that they get really compact and for that not enough light gets to the pods.
Many people I know remove a lot of leaves to give the pods more light so they ripe faster. I try to if they weather plays along to give them a lot of heat with running low on lights. Then the plant it self will get really long so more space between leaves and more light for the pods. But they hardly set pods if it is too dark, so after the struktur of the plant fits I move them into direct sunlight. Every extra hour a day makes a big diffrence. At my garden some get around 2 h more Sunlight then some others and it is amazing how much faster the ones with more sun get ripe.
This year I have a new pice of land with even more Sun hours.
I think also important is the pot size my normal pot size to grow Capicum pubescens is 40 L ( 10,.. Gal).
Capsicum pubescens makes a lot of roots and leaves and needs a lot of water. With smaller pots it is hard to keep then moist at all times . It also makes the fertilizing easier

greetings

Alexander

Thank you for taking the time to address this Alexander. That paragraph was more informative than any info I have found so far. A lot of folks seem to give up growing them because they are alittle more picky. It makes me want to grow them more!

They do seem like they would be a challenging grow. Looks like I'm gonna be on the hunt for a few varieties of pubescens,as,I have never grown any. Very helpful responses guys. I really appreciate little bit of info that I've read so far

Key to Germing these guys and with most peppers is fresh seeds. These NOT brown rocoto seedlings are seeds I got from Melissa. Deseeded and sowed in MG soil no heat dome. No top to cover. Just plain aerogarden t5s. Took 6 days. Who wants seedlings. ?? I OW mine and has tons of flowers.

null_zpsf4c14ba3.jpg

Very informative, my first rocoto was back in 2003 and came from a fellow in Calif. I think his site Rocoto.com is still up he's from Bolivia I believe. Also there is a natural cross between C. cardenasii and C. pubescens "Rocopica", which has larger pods than the normal C. cardenasii pods, but not much bigger. I have one plant come up this spring as I was worried that I had waited to long and lost the seeds as I had not grown it in several years and the seeds had been in my cold storage box. Good thing I pulled out the seeds and planted them along with some cardenasii which needed to be grown out, I was able to get 5 plants out of the 8 seeds I had, so I'll have plenty of fresh seeds. 
I think the Rocopica might be a good candidate to try and out cross with a baccatum, but I won't be trying to do this, not yet anyways as I want to build up my seed supply first.  I thought I still had some C. eximium that were the hot variety, but found that I only had a variety that isn't pungent and may not be a eximium.

wildseed57 said:
Very informative, my first rocoto was back in 2003 and came from a fellow in Calif. I think his site Rocoto.com is still up he's from Bolivia I believe. Also there is a natural cross between C. cardenasii and C. pubescens "Rocopica", which has larger pods than the normal C. cardenasii pods, but not much bigger. I have one plant come up this spring as I was worried that I had waited to long and lost the seeds as I had not grown it in several years and the seeds had been in my cold storage box. Good thing I pulled out the seeds and planted them along with some cardenasii which needed to be grown out, I was able to get 5 plants out of the 8 seeds I had, so I'll have plenty of fresh seeds. 
I think the Rocopica might be a good candidate to try and out cross with a baccatum, but I won't be trying to do this, not yet anyways as I want to build up my seed supply first.  I thought I still had some C. eximium that were the hot variety, but found that I only had a variety that isn't pungent and may not be a eximium.
That site is still up,and,very informative I might add. Thanks friend

Alexander you are the man! How many are you growing this year?
I noticed too that they can really suck up water and out grow pots at a alarming rate. Beautiful plants.

Had a little set back with getting them over winter. For that I have around 230 new plants from over 140 diffrent varieties. From the plants from last year only 8 are left over.

Greetings

Alexander

pepperproblem said:
Ecuadorian Red Pepper From Hell? Out of about 250 types this year this was one of 2 that did not germinate. The seeds were not good. have you tasted this?
I've got one going. I'll save ya some seeds.

Ecuadorian Red Pepper From Hell
EcuadorianRedPepperFromHell_zps5fb1214b.jpg

Hombre -

Impressive! I would love to find a pubescens I could grow well in my HOT climate. I'm currently trying to germinate apple-sized Manzanos I found at the Mexican market. They sell the SOB's for $2 apiece!

Anyway, I get inspiration from your efforts.

Best regards,

Bob

Back