• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Cactus fig hot sauce

My Nopales- / Opuntia-Cactus had about 20 Tunas / Cactus figs. And I had a good handful of baccatum pods: Lemon drop and Inca red drop. All those fruits had to be used and I decided to cook a hot sauce. I carefully removed the prickles, peeled the figs, deseeded them and purreed them with the pods. I added red wine, honey, black pepper,salt, lemon juice and white balsamico vinegar. I simmered down the sauce and bottled it in a 250 ml bottle and a 100 ml bottle. Not too much but deeelicious!

IMG_1520.jpg

IMG_1521.jpg

IMG_1522.jpg

IMG_1523.jpg

Now THAT is amazing. I haven't had cactus fruit in a really long time, and your pic is bringing back some good memories. Yuuuuummy! Hey - why don't you participate in November's Throwdown?

G

I hooked up my neighbor to hot sauce a while ago. So I gave him a sample of that cactus fig sauce. He is a wine dealer and has some delicatessen in his shop. When I showed up he had some kind of pastry with layers of gorgonzola and other cheeses, with walnuts and vodka soaked figs. First we tasted that pastry with baguette bread only. Delicious! Then we poured some of the cactus fig sauce on the bread and pastry. It was the perfect match!
Well, my neighbor has some connections and will try to get me some more cactus figs from the food wholesale in Munich... More hot sauce! And he will get some more of that cheese pastry too!

Now I finally received 5 huge cactus figs. They are of a different strain so they don't have that beautiful dark purple color. Let's see what kinda sauce I will make of them. I'll keep you updated.

IMG_1541.jpg

IMG_1543.jpg

Again I received some of that gorgonzola cheese pastry with vodka figs.

IMG_1551.jpg

I put some on two halves of a pumpkin seed bun.

IMG_1552.jpg

Then I added the two different batches of cactus fig hot sauce. They were similar, both very fruity.

IMG_1553.jpg

IMG_1554.jpg

Yesterday I found some cactus figs in a supermarket and some nice orange chinenses in an Asia shop. So I decided to cook a batch of hotter cactus fig sauce.

IMG_1569.jpg

IMG_1570.jpg

I used a cup of mead vinegar, half a cup of lemon juice, sugar, salt, red wine, mirabelle schnaps and black pepper. I processed all ingredients in the blender. Then I cooked the mixture and simmered it down.

IMG_1574.jpg

Here's the little bottles of cactus magma.

IMG_1577.jpg

I only tasted a little drop of it before it cooled down. The chinense sauce is by far hotter than the baccatum sauces as I expected. The flavor is good but I have to wait until it has cooled down and then again until it has ripened for some time.

Colorwise the cactus figs dominate the peppers. As you can see on the next picture in direct comparison, the three batches made of three different strains of opuntias have very different colors.

IMG_1579.jpg

Back