• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

cajohns krakatoa

A few years ago I bought one of Cajohn's original red savina sauces called Ignite. Although the savina was the main component there were some other ingredients in there as well. I was blown away by the great flavor of this product. Then I got Melinda's Red Savina which also had this wonderful fruity note. So I wanted to get a sauce with as much red savina as I could find. So I got Krakatoa.

With Krakatoa there are only two ingredients; red savina and vinegar. That's it. The aroma and flavor are wonderful, sort of a cross between fruit and tomato which is clearly the red savina doing its work. I could hardly taste the vinegar. As far as heat goes, Krakatoa is fairly hot, but is a very comfortable and tolerable heat. It does not have the sting of a fatali sauce nor the outright punch of the naga sauces. What Krakatoa does deliver is a nice lingering warmth mainly on the center and top of the tongue. I believe Krakatoa as well as Ignite are overlooked by Cajohn's extract and scorpion sauces which is a shame because these are two of the best tasting sauces I ever had. For pure red savina flavor and heat I cannot recommend Krakatoa enough. It is terrific.

Verdict: Heat 7.5, Flavor 9.5

When you say tomato, does it have a ketchup flavor, or more a pure tomato? I recently got some sauce [Wild Fire from Redhawk Peppers] that had ketchup as one of the ingredients. I love it, but I am not a fan of it on Mexican food, which was slightly disappointing because I eat a lot of it... I had it on some new potatoes, and it was out of this world. Complimented it very well. Don't get me wrong, I am not knocking Wild Fire by any means, but as with any sauce, it goes better with some dishes than others... which of course is subject to opinion.

Krakatoa is one of my favorite sauces ever. It is nothing but pure pepper flavor. It is a bit thick and chunky like a puree, but the taste and heat are perfect.

Don't worry, there is no ketchup flavor at all with this. It's kind of hard to describe, but red savina sauces such as this taste sort of like a cross between tomato and fruit.

Back