• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Calcium Deficiency/curling + bumpy leaves

My leaves are starting to curl but also going quite bumpy on new growth. I have read somewhere this may be calcium deficiency and to add bonemeal to the soil. They are all doing this but the three below are the worst. They have had decent light, bottom watered and not watered too often.

Is it the right diagnosis, if so does anyone know what quantity of bonemeal to add?

DSC03066.jpg

DSC03065.jpg

DSC03067.jpg

First thing is check the PH of the runoff water. If its below about 6.2 you need to bring it up because the plants are NOT absorbing calcium. If your PH is above 6.3 then you need some calcium. I would recommend a cal mag supplement, NOT bone meal. Bone meal is a great source of organic calcium but it would bring your potassium to high. I use General Organics Calmag+. A lot of people like Botanicares Calmag supplement. I just had a mag deficiency and cured it right up with the calmag+

I will check my PH tonight and report. I had been adjusting the PH down slightly as my tap water is 7.5

Not checked run off yet but maybe the PH has been too low?

I think most people have plently of calcium in their tap water and I think most problems with C. chinenses plants are magnesium related or deficiencies due to nutrient lockout when plants are watered too much or pH is off. Either that or aphid damage :(
I'd try a spray of epsom salts for a good foliar application of magnesium

Mine are actually looking quite similar. I think Im gonna head out to the store and take a peek at what they have for calcium.

My leaves are starting to curl but also going quite bumpy on new growth. I have read somewhere this may be calcium deficiency and to add bonemeal to the soil. They are all doing this but the three below are the worst. They have had decent light, bottom watered and not watered too often.

Is it the right diagnosis, if so does anyone know what quantity of bonemeal to add?

DSC03066.jpg

DSC03065.jpg

DSC03067.jpg
they look fine to me ... its just a seedling ,don't over fert them...address the bumpy issue when they are much bigger.

Back