• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification.

soil Calcium deficient soil

One of the things on my off-season to-do list is start correcting the Calcium deficiency in my soil. I'm getting tired of blossom end rot and treating with Cal-Mag gets expensive after a season. I'm going to attempt using Calcium chloride since I've heard it doesn't significantly alter the soil pH.

Anyway, I've been trying to do some research on various Ca+ soil amendments and would like to get some other folk's experiences.

I was looking into getting Neptune Harvest Crab shell 23% calcium 1.33% Magnesium, so it recommends a lite usage. I still have to call them tomorrow for more information on the product, but that is what I am leaning towards.

Gypsum would be my bet to increase the calcium without increasing the magnesium too much as you need a 10:1 ratio of Ca to Mg in the soil ideally to keep your plants within a healthy range.
Dolomite Lime is a ratio of 2:1 Ca to Mg and so it increases the magnesium far too much.

http://www.spectruma...y/rf/Gypsum.htm

Some light reading on Gypsum

Also gypsum is believed to in some quarters help with the compaction/aeration of clay soils although there is much debate on this front. Most Science says it doesn't work .... Many long time gardeners swear by it. Although it appears it only works when chemical compaction/crusting is present rather then mechanical compaction of soils

Back