• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Callin All Super Growers

ok so I was searchin around on ebay looking at ferts and planting supplies and I ran across this "urea 46-0-0". I was thinking that if this was applied to plants that they would be fried with nitrogen overload but a very reputable company is selling it. So im looking for yall super pepper growers out there to see what your take is on it.. Would one use this straight on their plants?,  would you cut it down to 1/2, 1/4 etc.. or would one use it with another fert to add a little extra nitrogen to their ferts?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NITROGEN-FERTILIZER-UREA-46-0-0-Water-Soluble-4-pounds-Clean-Water-Soluble-/350585860766?pt=Fertilizer_Soil_Amendments&hash=item51a08bb29e

I appreciate any comments/advice

Thanks Tyler

Even if it doesn't fry the plants it still seems like too much nitrogen. Would they even be able to use that much or would it just run off into the environment?

Ocho Cinco said:
Even if it doesn't fry the plants it still seems like too much nitrogen. Would they even be able to use that much or would it just run off into the environment?

That, and possible cause nutrient lock up, and not allow other key nutrients to uptake, I can't see why peppers would need near that, I'm use less than 1/10 of that with great results

I guess that maybe it could be used in an experiment. My guess is that if this was used early in the season then it may produce a huge plant full of leaves but probably no flowers or fruits. If the fertilizer is switched to something to promote blooming then perhaps there could be a huge amount of pods. 

Have your soil tested. PSU does soil testing in Pennsylvania. My test results show that N is the only thing that is low in my soil. They suggest using urea and give the amount/ ft². I would not use it,not because of leaching/runoff,just have found better options. Most folks use it for composting.

Read this before you decide to use high nitrogen, or urea

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/3000/3117.html
Use nitrate nitrogen as the fertilizer nitrogen source. Ammoniacal nitrogen may increase blossom-end rot as excess ammonium ions reduce calcium uptake. Avoid over-fertilization as side dressings during early fruiting, especially with ammoniacal forms of nitrogen

vegetative growth due to excessive nitrogen fertilization.

Ignore marketing and decide what your particular soil needs.  It will vary, based on what you've done to it or haven't.

Urea is water soluable and is commonly added to commercial herbicide sprays as a "kicker" (it lowers the ph and assists in herbicide uptake)

Also urea is used in fertigation where it is highly diluted.

Just because it is nitrogen doesn't mean you should be using it on your plants.

Here's some good info on different forms of Nitrogen. 

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http://www.greenhouse.cornell.edu/crops/factsheets/nitrogen_form.pdf

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http://www.nm.nrcs.usda.gov/technical/handbooks/iwm/NM_IWM_Field_Manual/Section09/9e-Nitrogen_Fertilizer_Guide.pdf

+1 for Urine.  I have been using it as my high Nitrogen fertilizer ever since I discovered that I was severely low in N for my potted plants.  Since using it (I dilute ~1/20 with water), my plants have been much happier.  I apply it once a week.  The best part is that it is completely free and I'll never run out.  I do not apply it to the plant itself, just to the soil.  If you can get over the yuck factor, you'll find that it really is a great source of N and even a little bit of P and K.

Some plants are notorious nitrogen hogs--fruit trees come to mind, which is the only place I sledgehammer my plants with the straight nitrogen ferts. Peppers and hot peppers in particular are not so nute-intensive as other crops, but their needs are a lot more complicated, and think the organic-source ferts (shit, fish, fish shit, and yes piss) are more likely to have a good balance with an abundance of micronutrients. That said I have not hit a formula that makes all my pepper varieties happy. Seems like some will thrive and others languish, even though they are growing next to each other and getting the same treatment. 

1 piss per gallon of water once every 2 weeks seems to work well on the tomatoes.

Yup, that's how I spend every second Saturday night, in the back yard with a 6 pack, conjuring up some fertilizer.

I've never had the guts to try it on the peppers, they seem to be more conservative in their needs, just fish fert, bone and blood meal, and maybe one dose of diluted Epsom salts per year for me.

BTW is the title to this thread a reference to "Super Why"?  I have a 3 and a half year old, maybe I'm just exposed to too much kids tv.

Schonke said:
Urea is one of the substances included in common urine. You could use urine diluted with water if you need additional N!

Yes that's what I read when I searched to find a thread on this compound
Ocho Cinco said:
I guess that maybe it could be used in an experiment. My guess is that if this was used early in the season then it may produce a huge plant full of leaves but probably no flowers or fruits. If the fertilizer is switched to something to promote blooming then perhaps there could be a huge amount of pods. 

That's what I will probably do, I have like 4 plants all of the same species and variety and conduct a experiment. Plant 1 will get urea, Plant 2 will get urine, Plant 3 will get a all purpose fert, and plant 4 will get nothing but some pro mix
Pr0digal_son said:
Have your soil tested. PSU does soil testing in Pennsylvania. My test results show that N is the only thing that is low in my soil. They suggest using urea and give the amount/ ft². I would not use it,not because of leaching/runoff,just have found better options. Most folks use it for composting.

Yes I have tested it, Like yours im low in nitrogen that's one of the reasons I was looking for a high nitrogen fert. If you don't mind how do people use it while composting?
pepperdan said:
Read this before you decide to use high nitrogen, or urea

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/3000/3117.html
Use nitrate nitrogen as the fertilizer nitrogen source. Ammoniacal nitrogen may increase blossom-end rot as excess ammonium ions reduce calcium uptake. Avoid over-fertilization as side dressings during early fruiting, especially with ammoniacal forms of nitrogen

vegetative growth due to excessive nitrogen fertilization.

Thanks for the article
compmodder26 said:
+1 for Urine.  I have been using it as my high Nitrogen fertilizer ever since I discovered that I was severely low in N for my potted plants.  Since using it (I dilute ~1/20 with water), my plants have been much happier.  I apply it once a week.  The best part is that it is completely free and I'll never run out.  I do not apply it to the plant itself, just to the soil.  If you can get over the yuck factor, you'll find that it really is a great source of N and even a little bit of P and K.
I am going to conduct a experiment see quote above.

**Thanks for everyone that responded***

Back