event Calling all manufacturers and hot sauce aficionados!

Please keep me posted on this one, my company is based in the Hudson Valley and I would definitely participate because: it's close, it's fun, it's great to introduce what we have and find new stuff to enjoy from others....that works for me!!!

Not a problem, you're on the list.

For a bit of an update, this is going to be more of a demo event than a 'trade show' style event. It's more of a meet and greet, where showing your products to new people and having them try them is the main objective. Actual sales of your products will be by the Peppers store, where they can purchase them. We've got a good number of new manufacturers on board, which is going to make it a lot of fun. It's all about getting your name out. If people don't know you exist, they won't buy your stuff. Chip at Peppers is quite good at advertising, and I think he'll be able to get a very good draw from the public. I will be speaking to him in the next day or two to hammer out a bunch of details, so manufacturers interested should be receiving an email from me soon, outlining the goings-on.

Ok, I sent out an email to those that have emailed me showing interest in this venture. Here is the email. This should shed some light on what will be going on. This thing is getting better by the day!

Greetings,
Well, thanks for taking interest in the Peppers event scheduled for Saturday and Sunday, May 15-16 at Peppers in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware. I’ve received a ton of feedback from many people, and it looks like this thing is gonna be a lot of fun. The following information is mainly for manufacturers/producers, but is also some insight for those that are looking to attend.

First off, as many of you have asked, this is not a trade show, but a large-scale demo, in which the masses will be able to try all your products. For those companies that are not yet on the shelves of Peppers, this is also a great way to get in! Sales of your products will be done inside Peppers, so bring some extra stock in case they run out!

This event will be held in the parking lots in front of, and around Peppers. Chip is also getting neighboring restaurants to serve up some of their goods as well. He is in the process of getting an advertising schedule together as well, so a lot of people are going to know about this.

Besides manufacturers, there will be an opportunity to join in with what we call “The Bloggers Booth”. If you aren’t familiar with this concept, it has been growing in popularity in the last couple of years at larger trade shows, where chilehead bloggers can meet up and hang out, as well as pitch their blogsites. The Blogger Booth tends to be very fun, as everyone is just hanging out having a good time, discussing various stuff regarding the hot sauce industry.

As mentioned, this is a great opportunity for newer up and coming companies to get their name
out as well as bring their products to the people, without the large cost of a full-blown trade show. There will be a number of seasoned companies there as well, so if you have any questions about anything regarding the industry, bring your list.

There will also be various eating competitions during the weekend, so if you are interested in a competition with your own products, just let me know. Chip and I are currently in contact with various TV stations, and just might have a few ‘eating’ professionals show up to compete!

Saturday night will be a large-scale get-together with everyone in attendance, at an establishment to be announced. There will also be a block of rooms available at a discount at a nearby hotel as well, I will give specifics on this as I get the information.

We are also considering taking sponsors, and using the money to make some very cool t-shirts with the names of the various companies and blogsites on them. We haven’t come up with the exact dollar amount for sponsorship yet, but I will let everyone know as soon as we figure this out. Trust me, it ain’t gonna be a ton of money.

The hours of the gig are going to be roughly around 10 or 11am to around 5pm both Saturday and Sunday. In talking to Chip, I’ll be fryin’ up a dumptruck load of wings, so if you want to prepare something to give out, just ask. I’m not sure on the availability of electricity, but I will find out.

Well, this should bring you a little more up-to-date. I will be sending out updates as I get them. Thanks again for your interest in this venture, I look forward to it being a hit, and maybe even an annual event. If you have any questions, feel free to email me at john@defconsauces.com.

Ok, quick update. We just got back from Peppers in Delaware. I discussed a bunch of things with Chip regarding this event. One of the concerns raised by a few manufacturers was if they are not currently on the shelves at Peppers, will they be by doing this event. He said any questions like that should be directed to him via email at chip@peppers.com, and he will discuss it with whoever is wondering.

Just a quick update. We're working on a few cool ideas and answers to questions we received. Will have a formal update in the next couple of days.

So an update to let us know that there will be an update? Heh heh, reminds me of a meeting to discuss what will be discussed at the meeting. :lol:

Absolutely. It's kind of like opening your second beer before you're finished with the first. It's called being pro-active, I do it all the time.

Tkromer said:
Good beer doesn't have to be cold.

If it's light beer, then it better be close to frozen.

But good beer is even better when cold.:beer:

Light beer? I rank that down there with Zima and foo-foo drinks.;)

I will be there!!! By the way defcon.. I keep walking past the fridge and sipping a bottle of your wing sauce. I cant stop.

Nicole said:
I will be there!!! By the way defcon.. I keep walking past the fridge and sipping a bottle of your wing sauce. I cant stop.

This is good. The indoctrination is now past the point of no return...Welcome to the Defcon Continuum...

Scott Roberts said:
But good beer is even better when cold.:beer:

Light beer? I rank that down there with Zima and foo-foo drinks.;)

Beer Rule #1: Never drink beer the same color as your pee.

Beer Rule #2: Do not drink beer that you can see clearly through

DEFCON Creator said:
Not yet. I'm still waiting for an answer from Chip. Believe me, I want to get this thing rolling as soon as possible.

Any possibility of a date change? My wife planned a vaction for us that starts on May 15, so I'll be in Puerto Rico...

Ok, I have a major update to the Peppers At The Beach tailgate event, taking place on May 15-16 at the Peppers store in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware. I have to apologize for the delay, between us here at Defcon HQ and the Peppers team, it’s been a little hectic as of late.

This is how it’s going to work. Many of you had asked if Peppers doesn’t currently carry your products, if you could sell them in the parking lot. I totally understand the position, as does Chip at Peppers. You WILL be able to sell your products in the parking lot. If Peppers carries specific product(s) or yours, they will be able to purchase them inside the Peppers store. Any product(s) in your line that Peppers doesn’t carry, can be sold in the parking lot as well.

As this is more of a huge tailgate party, there will NOT be electricity available, but if you want, bring a grill to serve up stuff to the masses. Also, products have to be professional products, either made by a co-packer, or otherwise FDA approved. We’re trying to avoid “bathtub products” that could be harmful due to wrong packaging processes being used.

This should be a lot of fun. There is no telling the exact attendance, as this is the first year of the event, but it will give you a good chance to get some face time with the public, and let them know your products. If they don’t know you exist, they won’t buy from you.

I will give more updates as time goes on, I just wanted to answer the main questions that people had. If you have specific questions, either email me (john@defconsauces.com) or Chip Hearn (chip@peppers.com). I look forward to meeting a bunch of you and sharing a couple of beers. There will be no raindate for this, so pray for good weather.

Back