• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Can anyone help identify this plant please?

Hi

This plant was grown last year.
The fruit grows upwards, ripening from green to red and are hot. At the moment the fruits are 5cm in length and 1.5 cm at their base, they taper to a blunt point. The plant itself is hard to describe and my picture doesnt show it much but it is quite angular.

Needsidentifying.jpg

DSC00030.jpg

The only plants i grew last year were:
A long thin green chilli (this one which I'm not sure if it is a slim cayenne variety)
DSC00027.jpg

and this one which last year the fruits (which are similar to the unidentified in question but last year they hung downwards)

DSC00026.jpg

I would really appreciate anyones advice on this thank you for your time
Tori

Puriras are skinnier and yellower but it probably is a C. frutescens. Do you have a pic of the flowers?

ABurningMouth said:
It looks more like Potawie's Purira. Tabascos are smaller and don't get that much purple color.

that purple color does not look like it was meant to be, it looks more like a reaction from sun exposure.I grew tabascos once & I think they even got some of that dark color/purple but then again most of my plants do anyways because of full sun exposure. but I would guess a tabasco chile too, but no expert) or a super chili ? I think it also had F1 or hybrid to that super chili label.

last picture maybe some type of thai ?

& where are you from ? because this might help narrow down the possibilities as to whats floating around in your location (if you didnt buy the seeds online, but then you'd know what they are)

Hi I am English living in Spain.

My brother gave me some seeds last year but I am sure they were naga Jolokia and that green chilli in the photo.

Can I rule out Naga Jolokia?
Could they be Mirasol?

Also I should have mentioned (sorry) that the chillies are black at the moment due to the sun, their usual final colour is a really bright red colour.

The flowers hang downwards singley and are white with greeny/purple insides

Thanks for your help

guatemala.jpg

GUATEMALA - hot; Pequin/Piquin Type; 1 to 1.25 inches long by 0.5 to 0.75 inches wide; thin flesh; matures from green to black to red; upright pods become pendant; green leaves; 18 to 24 inches tall; Mid Season; from Guatemala; C.annuum.

It is a Guatamala, I grow several, they arent all fat or stubby like this picture. They are a bit longer thinner just like your pictures.

Great chile, really works well eaten straight with food.

The look like some "Ornamental" variety I have grown a couple of times, it was very strong, not very good taste if you eat the whole fruits but dried and powdered it was good spice.

Back