• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Can anyone tell what variety this is

My mother in law lives in Westland. For those of you (probably most :)) that don't know what westland is I will explain. Westland is an area at the west coast of the Netherlands filled with huge greenhouses. They grow tomatoes, bell peppers, cucumbers, etc there mostly for export. At night the greenhouses use so much light that the area is visible from space.
Anyway I live just on the edge of the westland area and was on my way to my mother in law when I suddenly discovered on of the greenhouse complexes had a new owner. I used to be a tomato grower but now it changed to a pepper grower :onfire:

As you can imagine I stopped to ask if I could take a look inside. I got a nice tour and I got a nice discount. They grow about a dozen varieties (among others Habanero, Ancho, Jalapeno, Cayenne) and I was given a box to fill with peppers of my own choice for only 3 euro per kilo!! I made sure I got some of all there varieties and I know what most are but I'm not sure about one.

Does anyone have any ideas?

ID.jpg

Hi Vincent,

I just bought 7 peppers at the local Super de Boer (supermarket for those not Dutch) and they look identical.

It was even possible to mimic your picture very closely.

They where labled Madame Jeanette.

Afbeelding1-1.jpg

Apologies for not being any help with the ID but I had to say those are some fine looking peppers Vincent, great score bro.

I am currently growing this myself, I bought in a supermarket here in Sweden. Those were also Dutch and grown in Holland.
Mine were labled Adjoema, also spelled Ojemma and at other places it's known as Aji Umba, Yellow. These peppers seems to be grown in a large scale for commercial sales and exportation.

I did some research myself and they seem identical to Madame Jeanette peppers. The descriptions of taste and heat seem to match up and they also have the same land of origin, Surinam.

Anyway here is some links so that you can see for yourself!

http://www.thechileman.org/results.php?find=aji+umba+yellow&heat=Any&origin=Surinam&genus=Any&chile=1
http://www.thechileman.org/results.php?find=Madame+Jeanette&heat=Any&origin=Surinam&genus=Any&chile=1

My mother in law lives in Westland. For those of you (probably most :)) that don't know what westland is I will explain. Westland is an area at the west coast of the Netherlands filled with huge greenhouses. They grow tomatoes, bell peppers, cucumbers, etc there mostly for export. At night the greenhouses use so much light that the area is visible from space.
Anyway I live just on the edge of the westland area and was on my way to my mother in law when I suddenly discovered on of the greenhouse complexes had a new owner. I used to be a tomato grower but now it changed to a pepper grower :onfire:

As you can imagine I stopped to ask if I could take a look inside. I got a nice tour and I got a nice discount. They grow about a dozen varieties (among others Habanero, Ancho, Jalapeno, Cayenne) and I was given a box to fill with peppers of my own choice for only 3 euro per kilo!! I made sure I got some of all there varieties and I know what most are but I'm not sure about one.

Does anyone have any ideas?

ID.jpg
I got seeds from a member here that were supposed to be Yellow Seven Pots..... the chile picture you have is EXACTLY what I got. I won't mention the name. Fortunately, I also got Yellow 7's from a reliable source and had them isolated. Those pictured above are a beautiful though. My plants were prolific. I have not tried them yet for heat or flavor

thanks for all the replies. Madame Jeanette sounds right to me, it's definitely something a variety a dutch greenhouse would grow.

Back