• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Can eating to much Chili hert your stomach?

Can eating to much Chili hert your stomach for good?
This has come up in the conversation alot in Thailand. They say that its no good to eat hotter chilies than Thailand has. I've scofed at this eating the chilies off the plant, but one day I ate 10 Prik key nuu. mouth burning for 5 min and after that it felt like some one punching my stomach like a heavy bag for 20 min. I was woundering if it the speices of the Thai chilies.

I've ate too meny habanero, serrano, & Jalapeno all thougt I can't remember that well, It felt like my stomach was blouted but not real pain. But have found Stomach pain is getting worse when I eat way to meny Thai chili ? I've bought some tabasco brand Habanero sauce. Can drink it like scotch with out stomach pain, so whats with too much Thai chili ? :shocked:

from what i've read, excess consumption of capsaicin can cause stomach cancer, but i HIGHLY doubt any of us are at the cancer causing levels. Not even Quad.

Chiles can cause stomach irritation, especially if you have ulcers or previous conditions. I know my doctor told me to stay away from spicy foods, but I'd rather suffer the concequences for now:)

capsaicin directly stimulates and overloads the nerves themselves sending the interpretation to the brain that it's actually "hot". It may upset your stomach but I beleive that is to do with the overstimulating effects of the chemical and not due to any physically destructive behavior.

Just becuase it feels hot and painful, doesn't mean that it actually is.

When I had ulcerative colitis I really couldn't eat chiles during the active periods (not to surprising, that).

As to why Exotic Island can't eat Thai chiles? Perhaps pesticides used on the plants? Maybe you just reached "critical mass" by eating 10 of them? When was the last time you ate before you ate the chiles? I know that Neil makes sure he has a full stomach before he does a test.

Apparently different peppers affect people different ways. I know some people who can't handle rocotos, but they can munch on habs.

Eh, i think its more to do with the heat of the actual chile vs total amount of capsaicin consumed. I base this on the fact that I can eat multiple habaneros and just feel kinda warm all over and then turn around and eat a tiny little piece of a trinidad scorpion and feel like someone shot me in the stomach with molten steel. I learned the hard way that my stomach is the weakest link in the chain lol.

uummmm.....No....

Digestive De-tox and Ulcer Afterburners

It was once believed that chile would burn out the lining of the stomach, but this has been disproved by doctors who have used cayenne, ironically, to relieve digestive distress, and more recently, by a medical study conducted in 1988 at the Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, which found that chile increases gastric secretions in the stomach but does no harm. Rob McCaleb, an ethnobotanist and president of the Herb Research Foundation in Boulder, Colorado, observes that various kinds of chile actually helps digestion and reduces flatulence by increasing the circulation in the stomach and intestines so that food is processed and absorbed more efficiently. Indeed, one of the reasons cayenne is often included in herbal blends is so that all the ingredients will be assimilated more productively.

Exotic Island, I have several different experiences that are relative to this question. First of all, I have IBS which causes me to suffer when I eat more than just a little hot stuff. I think my case is fairly mild so I only suffer from bathroom pain the next day and the occasional stomach cramp when I really overdo it. I have learned that it is not always the amount that you consume, or the specific pepper that causes it. I have eaten a pile of habs with no problem and then a teaspoon of a certain hot sauce kills me. I think each person is different and how different peppers affect us is also different. If you really want to know about that Thai pepper, do an experient. You had ten and know what happened. Try it again with 5 and see what happens. If you still get the same result, try two. I know from my experience that Nagas cause me mild discomfort with my IBS from eating one, but one Scorpion and I will not be sleeping that night but rather sitting in the bathroom in cold sweats.

chillilover said:
What about Neil?:shocked:

Indeed, I got nothing on Neil... :)

Dyce51 said:
uummmm.....No....

Digestive De-tox and Ulcer Afterburners

Foundation in Boulder, Colorado, observes that various kinds of chile actually helps digestion and reduces flatulence by increasing the circulation in the stomach and intestines so that food is processed and absorbed more efficiently. Indeed, one of the reasons cayenne is often included in herbal blends is so that all the ingredients will be assimilated more productively.

Yeah, ppl always think stuff like "thats gonna fry yer guts" or "ya gonna fart fire", but I find if anything it helps keep my digestion regular and I really hardly ever have gas.

Of course, I've built up tolerance from zero heat back in the 80's to the stuff I'd eat now. :)

One thing...don't eat chiles on an empty stomach...not even Neil does that very much.

From Wikipedia, Possible health risks and precautions;
* A high consumption of chili may be associated with stomach cancer.[40][41][42][43]
* Chili powders may sometimes be adulterated with Sudan I, II, III, IV, para-Red, and other illegal carcinogenic dyes.[44]
* Aflatoxins and N-nitroso compounds, which are carcinogenic, are frequently found in chili powder.[45][46][47][48][49]
* Chronic ingestion of chili products may induce gastroesophageal reflux (GERD).[50]
* Chili may increase the number of daily bowel movements and lower pain thresholds for people with irritable bowel syndrome.[51]
* Chilis should never be swallowed whole; there are cases where unchewed chilis have caused bowel obstruction and perforation.[52]
* Consumption of red chilis after anal fissure surgery should be forbidden to avoid postoperative symptoms.[53]

That last one has to make you laugh :D

For balance I should include this also from wikipedia;

Possible health benefits

All hot chili peppers contain phytochemicals known collectively as capsaicinoids.

* Capsaicin was shown, in laboratory settings, to cause cancer cell death in rats.[22]
* Capsaicin in chilies has been found to inhibit chemically induced carcinogenesis and mutagenesis in various animal models and cell culture systems.[23]
* Recent research in mice shows that chili (capsaicin in particular) may offer some hope of weight loss for people suffering from obesity.[24][25]
* Researchers used capsaicin from chilies to kill nerve cells in the pancreases of mice with Type 1 diabetes, thus allowing the insulin producing cells to start producing insulin again.[26][27]
* Research in humans found that "after adding chili to the diet, the LDL, or bad cholesterol, actually resisted oxidation for a longer period of time, (delaying) the development of a major risk for cardiovascular disease".[28][29]
* Researchers found that the amount of insulin required to lower blood sugar after a meal is reduced if the meal contains chili pepper.[30]
* Chili peppers are being probed as a treatment for alleviating chronic pain.[31][32]
* Spices, including chili, are theorized to control the microbial contamination levels of food in countries with minimal or no refrigeration.[33]
* Hot peppers are claimed to provide symptomatic relief from rhinitis, but a review study found no effect.[34]
* Several studies found that capsaicin could have an anti-ulcer protective effect on stomachs infected with H. pylori by affecting the chemicals the stomach secretes in response to infection.[35][36][37]
* By combining an anesthetic with capsaicin, researchers can block pain in rat paws without causing temporary paralysis. This anesthetic may one day allow patients to be conscious during surgery and may also lead to the development of more effective chronic pain treatments.[38][39]

There's a lot of research out there that points to chili peppers being good for you. Most of the studies are on cayenne peppers, but that probably has more to do with the fact that it's readily available almost everywhere in some form or another. A quick search turned up:

Capsaicin, the compound that makes cayenne and other chili peppers hot. It can help reduce pain and itching by temporarily decreasing levels of substance P, a chemical involved in sending pain sensations along nerves.

Capsaicin-based rub-in creams are used to relieve joint, muscle, nerve and back pain, and fibromyalgia (a musculo-skeletal pain and fatigue disorder).

arthritis and osteoarthritis: Topical capsaicin is considered a safe and effective way to reduce pain from rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis and neuralgia (nerve pain). A review of human studies published in the December 2002 issue of the American Journal of Orthopedics found capsaicin to be one of several effective treatments for osteoarthritis pain when compared to placebo. Capsaicin cream also significantly reduced knee pain associated with both osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis in a double-blind study published in the May/June 1991 issue of Clinical Therapeutics.

weight loss: Consuming cayenne may help suppress appetite. When a group of men and women took 900mg of cayenne pepper a half hour before meals, they felt fuller and reduced their calorie and fat intake, according to a study appearing in the June 2005 issue of International Journal of Obesity.

prostate cancer: A study in the March 2006 issue of Cancer Research showed that capsaicin significantly inhibited the protein involved with prostate cancer cell proliferation in vitro and in vivo.

A clinical nutrition trial at the University of Tasmania in Australia suggested that eating meals that contain cayenne pepper may lessen a hormonal response that is linked to diabetes.

The researchers conducted aft eight-week study of 36 adults who did not usually eat cayenne chili peppers. For the first four weeks, the volunteers ate their usual diet except for one meal at the end of the study that contained the peppers. For the next four weeks, each person ate a diet much higher in cayenne pepper than usual.

Blood samples were taken at three points during the study — once during the bland diet, once during the chili pepper diet, and once in a transitional period.

The results showed that the participants produced about one third less insulin with a spicy diet than the bland diet. Obese participants benefited more from the chili diet.

New studies also show that consumption of hot peppers can reduce inflammation and relieve some pains.

(Source: American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 2006;84:63-69.)

Consuming cayenne in foods or as a capsule can ease the pain of a stomachache, cramps, gas, or indigestion, and may benefit the cardiovascular system by lowering LDL cholesterol and protecting from free radical damage. There's even promising research in terms of cayenne and weight control, since the sizzle in cayenne cranks up thermogenesis (the burning of calories) and can also rein in appetite. "This means that while your mouth is burning, so are extra calories," says Kim Dalzell, PhD, RD, a Round Lake, Ill.-based holistic nutritionist. This spicy- herb may also protect the stomach lining from the damaging effects of aspirin. If you have an ulcer or gastritis, however, use cayenne cautiously, as it could worsen those conditions.

Gram for gram, they contain more calcium and vitamin A
and C than asparagus, celery, and green peas (cauliflower, alas,
has a slight vitamin C edge but trails in calcium and vitamin A).

Back