• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

media Can hydrotron(expanded clay pellets) be mixed with potting soil?

i'm not hydroponics person, but i was thinking of useing either terra-lite or hydrotron brand clay medium mixed in with my soil mix, has anyone tried this? can it or can not be done? thanks for the input
joe

i do not see why you could not! it will just make the soil that better draining. not sure its the most cost effective way but it will work.

Not sure what the point would be when you think about it. You'd only be limiting the amount of space for root growth since hydroton is supposedly inert. The reason its useful in hydro is just because its dense and heavy and toesn't take much of it to help counterbalance a good size plant. The roots grip onto it nicely, but the real root growth happens OUTSIDE of the hydroton, and into the airspace or reservoir depending on setup.

But who knows, maybe it would increase drainage somehow? not sure myself :)

+1 Ictus
There is no real point, I think you'd be better off using perlite and/or scoria.
Also, you may find it's drainability will be negated by the finer mediums you mix it with, causing it to retain water.

i'll give it a try, mostly want to use it as a filler,and will layer it out with netting in between the layers, i dont think it will be that much of a drainage issue, i'm thinking more of a terrarium type layering, wont hurt to try got a 50 liter bag for $25 shipped.

i'll give it a try, mostly want to use it as a filler,and will layer it out with netting in between the layers, i dont think it will be that much of a drainage issue, i'm thinking more of a terrarium type layering, wont hurt to try got a 50 liter bag for $25 shipped.

you can try using 5/16 red lava rock...it a lot cheaper.. :)

+1 Ictus
There is no real point, I think you'd be better off using perlite and/or scoria.
Also, you may find it's drainability will be negated by the finer mediums you mix it with, causing it to retain water.

I have tried it with coco coir and I agree with Rael perlite or vermiculite is a much better option

the problem with perlite and vermiculite is, no one has bulk bags only single bags of 4lt or 8lt and at $4-$6 each bag and the number of pots i have and the sizes 5g minimum, i used more then 36 bags of perlite this summer that was $146 plus tax so that puts it around $160, there's no savings for me there, no one in a 50 mile radius had any of the bulk bags in stock sure they can order it, but add fuel cost to go out to pickup/place the order and they get me on shipping costs, cost more then the bags to ship or order to a store,not worth it when you do the numbers, a 50 lt bag at 50lbs for $25 shipped thats way cheaper and worth trying since i dont have to drive or pay shipping cost

Joe

Check these guys out they are in Hodgkins - The product you are looking for is "KRUM" Horticultural Perlite

Krum Perlite

THE OFFICE AND MANUFACTURING
FACILITY IS LOCATED AT
6300 RIVER ROAD HODGKINS, ILLINOIS

In my experience that will usually lead to an EXTREMELY firm soil once they roots set in. and I mean IMPOSSIBLE to break! plus it doesn't help much and it costs way too much. :lol:

the hometown perlite is promising, found out they work out of there home,but have to wait till later on to find out if they have pick up, shoot shipping was $27 for a 90qt bag that cost $10.95, but if i can pick up that will work
thanks XLNT
joe

Back