• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Can I "bury the stem" on a pepper seedling?

For tomatoes, I always plant a seedling with much of the stem in a trench with the growing end turned up. Adventitious root form, and the plant has a well-developed root system. Can I do this when setting out pepper plants, or does the stem/root junction have to remain at the seedling level. Thank you.

Well, genus isn't technically the right word, but what they said is correct. In fact, if you grow plants without proper soil aeration you may notice roots forming above the soil to take in oxygen.

cruzzfish said:
Well, genus isn't technically the right word, but what they said is correct. In fact, if you grow plants without proper soil aeration you may notice roots forming above the soil to take in oxygen.
Or if humidity is high enough around the base of the plant I often see it with Fytocell which is ~ 40% air at all times I only ever see it when I run drippers 24/7

Thank you all...I shall bury the stems. This is a special pepper in that I brought some ahi amarillo seeds back from a Lima, Peru market pepper, and grew a nice crop last year. It is special in that my wife is allergic to all other peppers we have tried, except yellow and red bells, and this Peruvian yellow-orange Capsicum baccatum. It is medium hot, very fruity, and makes a great pickle which I can dice into about everything. Also, my wife, as a little kid, spent nine years in Lima 60 years ago while her dad worked there, and ahi amarillo is well remembered in certain national dishes. Once again, thank you for the help.

cruzzfish said:
Well, genus isn't technically the right word
Sorry, bit lost in translation. I thought genus was the english word for plant family. But in fact it's called family as well. So peppers, tomatoes and potatoes are family and behave much a like.

Pfeffer said:
Sorry, bit lost in translation. I thought genus was the english word for plant family. But in fact it's called family as well. So peppers, tomatoes and potatoes are family and behave much a like.
No problem. Nightshade and eggplant are in there too, so if you grow peppers you know how to grow the 3 other main fruit crops and one thing that tries to kill you.

If they are stretchy, I loose the bottom leaves with a razor blade, wet, paint rooting jell on with a paint brush, and then plant so the cut branches are covered.  Roots then start forming at each node I cut off.  You can also use the powder, but unless you are doing clones where you have a stem only the powder is a pain the rear.

Trick is finding it.  Walmart and the likes has the powder.  For the jel you have to visit your local neighborhood indoor grow shop.  Wink at them then you say you are growing peppers.  They like that.

cruzzfish said:
No problem. Nightshade and eggplant are in there too, so if you grow peppers you know how to grow the 3 other main fruit crops and one thing that tries to kill you.

I inadvertently grew nightshade behind one of my roses over the winter. I hacked it down to the roots and it popped right back up again. This, to my mind, suggests wintersowing tomatoes and peppers here might be a worthwhile thing to try!

I would suggest growing garden huckleberry instead of deadly nightshade if you have a choice, though. Seems like a better use of the space.

Back