• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

drying Can I dehydrate in hot/humid weather?

I wanted to pull out my dehydrator to start dehydrating some peppers but I can only dehydrate outside for obvious reasons and it's 90f out and 110F with humidity. Will it still work ok?

should work fine. I live in Houston, and have dehydrated peppers in 85-90% humidity on occasion. Worked okay. Didnt really notice a change in the process. Maybe took just a hair longer than normal.

Can you set the temp on your dehydrator, or is it preset?

should work fine. I live in Houston, and have dehydrated peppers in 85-90% humidity on occasion. Worked okay. Didnt really notice a change in the process. Maybe took just a hair longer than normal.

Can you set the temp on your dehydrator, or is it preset?
I can set the temp.

My dehydrator has been hard at it for the past couple weeks. The temps around here during that same time has been mid to upper 90's and humidity around 91%(whew...!!!)

I have run it both indoors and outside, and have seen a little difference when running it outside....where my drying time increased by about 3 or 4 hours.

My dehydrator has pre-set temp at around 110f

I have been running mine in the garage for a while now it has been in the mid 90's and very humid in CT - it'll take longer but it does work I rotate my trays, I have 5, then seal them good when they are done.

Back