• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Can I grow just 1 plant?

I can see already that this is never going to work.  I've already got 3 different peppers that I want to grow and I haven't even started.  :)

Hahahahahahaha! I have plenty of seeds. Pm me if your interested and we'll get this addiction started.
texas blues said:
Grow only one plant?

Thats like buying only one beer.

Lmao i can't v do that either.

I'm curious as to how a DWC pepper would be. I'm sure it would grow great and taste good, but how do you stress it so it would get hot? For the soil growers the stress comes from letting the plant dry out and wilt before watering. How would you do it in DWC?

Blister said:
I'm curious as to how a DWC pepper would be. I'm sure it would grow great and taste good, but how do you stress it so it would get hot? For the soil growers the stress comes from letting the plant dry out and wilt before watering. How would you do it in DWC?
They are hot without stress but nutrient blasts or letting them not get nutes for a couple days I'm not hydro but that's what I have heard about stressing

texas blues said:
Grow only one plant?

Thats like buying only one beer.
Yah.
You could try just one.
If you can manage just 1 beer and 1 potato chip, you may be able to handle it.

But seriously, you don't need 2 for pollination, if that's what you are asking.
In hydro, you can stress with lights, heat, cold, nutes, or lack thereof.
Not really necessary though, you modulate the growth phases by mixture.

Just give it a gentle shake every few days when the flowers are producing pollen, or I use a little kids artist brush to "play bee" and brush the flowers.

Blister said:
I grew a scorpion in DWC without stressing and it what blazing

Huh. I am curious as to how to stress the plants in hydro. I've got a bunch growing in coco and this is my first go round and could use some tips. How do you stress with lights, heat, cold and nutes?

I dont grow hyroponics. But I think the way you could stress them out, is just a day before harvest drain all the water from your table or w.e it called, and kill the lights for a few days. I dont know though. But it seem like it to me that would work. Lol

Why stress them? Is it really worth the damage to your plants to raise the SHU from 1.3M to 1.4M? Not IMO unless you're going for a world record or something. Superhots are already pretty nuclear

Now with "other" plants, on the otherhand.... ;)

The whole reason I'm trying coco is because I haven't been able to get my Bhut's or Scorpions to produce hot peppers. The background is that I've always had decent sized, healthy plants in soil, but they never produced hot peppers. The only ones that did were the ones that were able to go through the natural process of wilt and water (stress). I had one hab that felt like a burning ember after a summer of stress and was way hotter than either of the Bhut's or Scorpions. The downside is that the superhots never got superhot because the buckets were too large and never dried out to the point where the plant would wilt and experience stress of the process. Really when you think about it, this is the natural process these plants go through in their native countries. Hot dry weather with periods of little to no rain.

Coco seems to offer the opportunity for me to be able to do this because I can have a decent sized plant in a small pot. So far all of my plants use up the nutrient solution and begin to wilt within 2 days if I don't water again.

That is not true i know people that don't stress their plants and they produce scorching hot peppers these peppers have heat in their genetics. Just like if I stress a bell pepper it won't produce heat because it doesn't have that in its genetics. if you never let your plants wilt will that doesn't mean it will produce heatless peppers what are your temps like?

I agree that genetics play a role and yes that would be why bell peppers don't become hot with stress. That's not their variety. At the same time if it were all up to genetics then the peppers would be hot regardless of the temperatures or conditions they were grown in. This has not been my experience in growing hot peppers. In-doors my peppers are held to 18-22c. In the summer time the plants are in an environment that's around the same to warmer. When I had access to a greenhouse, the plants were in temps closer to 35-40c on a regular basis.

I had Bhut Jolokia's and Butch T scorpions that were overwintered for 4 years. They both produced warm peppers, but not to the heat levels like they should have. I could literally pop one in my mouth and eat it. They were in large pots that were never able to fully dry out to let the plants wilt on a regular basis. On the other hand, the Orange Hab I grew wilted on a regular basis. And by wilt I mean the leaves were pointing straight down before each watering. There was no way I could pop one in my mouth and eat it like the others that are supposed to be 4-5x's hotter. The small slice I had was like a burning ember on my on my tongue.

Yep I started with 1 once....then next year 250....the next year 400....the next year I was putting 800 in my basement and building wooden stadiums to hold them all. Started with 1 light once...now I am pushing 4 HID lights 1000 watts each. Just like Lays Potato Chips.....

IMG_20131201_133241_zpsb542498c.jpg

Back