• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Can peppers be poisonous?

I bought seeds from eBay. I am currently growing an unknown pepper. I want to know if any given pepper is posionous. How do they get that way?

Peppers, poisonous :rofl:

If you eat to many super hots its poison in the gut! haha, make sure you dont eat moldy pods either, but poisonous, not really

I haven't heard of any poisonous pepper plants. However, you'll note that some are classified as "ornamental." From what I've read, they're not really poisonous, they just don't taste as good as non-ornamentals. That said, I've heard some ornamentals can taste downright nasty. On the other hand, some members here have grown some varieties of ornamentals and liked the flavor - black pearl being one that comes to mind.

Another consideration is how the plants are bought. My local grocer carries ornamental peppers at times, but they've been treated with toxic insecticides. So do some research as to what you're specifically getting, and go ahead and ask here if anyone has tried the specific kind you are looking at getting.

I have to laugh a bit. Here's a link to an article that claims capsicum annuum is poisonous. Uh huh. So every jalapeno, cayenne, etc., is poisonous, according to that article. In other words, when doing your research into whether a pepper you are thinking about getting is edible or not, also consider whether the source is valid or not. One man's "poison" is another man's pleasure....

Can seeds from a plant sprayed with poison be poisonous? I heard that a plant sprayed with some poisons can be permently toxic.

Can seeds from a plant sprayed with poison be poisonous? I heard that a plant sprayed with some poisons can be permently toxic.
Foliar ? Doubtful. If you were to drench the soil with something I say maybe--.
Our beloved pepperz and 'materz are some of the heaviest sprayed fruits on da planet.
My neighbors mom says it's always been like that. She laughs at my organic concoctions.
She's 93(serious).

The only poisonous chile is the Jerusalem cherry.

Don't buy from Ebay or poison will be the least of your problems

Jerusalem Cherry
  • Although the ornamental plant commonly known as the [background=transparent]Jerusalem[/background][background=transparent] [/background][background=transparent]cherry[/background] isn't a true pepper, it is often referred to as an ornamental pepper. This compact perennial produces fruit similar in appearance to cherry tomatoes. In humans, the toxins in the fruit can cause stomach pains, paralysis, vomiting, diarrhea and circulatory and respiratory depression. Dogs, cats and horses are also susceptible to the toxins in the Jerusalem cherry. Ingestion of the fruit may cause gastrointestinal disturbances, possible ulceration, seizures, respiratory depression and shock for your pets.

I wonder about some of the exotic wild species... The ones that haven't been studied in depth for instance (there are a few in brazil that come to mind).

True Nightshades and other members of the nightshade family can be toxic. However Peppers, eggplants and tomatoes are not, the fruit is not at least.
Potatoes can be toxic if the tubers turn green.
Ironic note, I have nightshade growing in my pepper patch.

True Nightshades and other members of the nightshade family can be toxic. However Peppers, eggplants and tomatoes are not, the fruit is not at least.
Potatoes can be toxic if the tubers turn green.
Ironic note, I have nightshade growing in my pepper patch.

I had an eastern black nightshade pop up in one of my wild trays. No idea how it got there but it became pretty obvious that I wasn't dealing with a capsicum.

Just be careful when you're buying seeds from unknown vendors. In most cases you'll just be dealing with the wrong variety, I can't imagine many of them are out to deliberately harm their customers...

Back