• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

health Can someone tell me what's wrong with my peppers?

First off, I have 4 TMS plants and 3 of them are doing well and one of them throws flowers but then they fall off... Second, 3/12 unripened peppers have small holes in them with black stuff inside, these peppers are easy to pull off and look like they either rotted or have mold in them of some kind.. Third and final, The leaves have holes all over them cause by some white patches that eventually make the holes.  Is there any way to combat these problems?

Thank you for any and all information.

Do you have pictures of the issues you're describing by any chance?

"Can someone tell me whats wrong with my peppers?".......Yeah, you're DrUnK!  :lol:

No really, we need pics.

(sorry sometimes I cant help myself)  :drunk:

with no pics I'm gonna guess, that you need calcium and maybe have a pest issue

Sounds like a worm problem based on what I found online. Could potentially be a corn earworm or a pepper maggot. Both leave holes and the pepper will turn black inside. If you could post pictures... we would be more sure of what we are hearing.

Regarding flower drop:

willard3 said:
Flower drop probable causes:

1. Day temp too high >95F
2. Night temp too low <50F
3. Too much nitrogen fertilizer
4. Too much water
5. Low light levels (reduces fertility).
6. Very low humidity (reduces fertility)
7. Poor air circulation (air circulation contributes to pollination).
8. Lack of pollinating insects.
9. Size of pot
10. Too much mineral in feedwater.
11. Too much grower attention/anxiety.

But let's qualify that - there seems to be a rash of people lately talking about flower drop, when all that's really happening is the petals are falling off. Petals falling off is the sign that the flower was germinated and a fruit is on its way. The entire flower dropping off (stem, stamen, pistil, in addition to petals) is true flower-drop and the above should be referred to.

As already noted, any "help" we can provide on a description alone is really just a guess - pictures would immensely help us to help you.

White patches that make holes, for example, could refer to a bunch of white bugs or possibly powdery mildew. Holes can be worms, maggots, or caterpillars. 

Ok, I see now that you posted links to some pics right before I posted above. I'll review.

geeme said:
Regarding flower drop:

But let's qualify that - there seems to be a rash of people lately talking about flower drop, when all that's really happening is the petals are falling off. Petals falling off is the sign that the flower was germinated and a fruit is on its way. The entire flower dropping off (stem, stamen, pistil, in addition to petals) is true flower-drop and the above should be referred to.

As already noted, any "help" we can provide on a description alone is really just a guess - pictures would immensely help us to help you.

White patches that make holes, for example, could refer to a bunch of white bugs or possibly powdery mildew. Holes can be worms, maggots, or caterpillars. 

Ok, I see now that you posted links to some pics right before I posted above. I'll review.

Ya when I say flower drop I mean the whole thing falls off and detached from the main plant. Thanks for the info though, a couple of those might be problems I have.

Leaf holes - cut worm or leaf miner are possibilities.

White patches - can you get a pic of the underside of the leaves, as well?

Black stuff - looks like eggs to me, but kind of hard to tell. 

Pod holes - more than likely a bug if the black stuff is eggs. Note, though, that blossom-end rot (BER) often starts as a softening of the wall of the fruit (not always at the blossom end) that often turns black if left alone long enough.

geeme said:
Leaf holes - cut worm or leaf miner are possibilities.

White patches - can you get a pic of the underside of the leaves, as well?

Black stuff - looks like eggs to me, but kind of hard to tell. 

Pod holes - more than likely a bug if the black stuff is eggs. Note, though, that blossom-end rot (BER) often starts as a softening of the wall of the fruit (not always at the blossom end) that often turns black if left alone long enough.

Here you go. http://postimg.org/image/yuz84c3ap/

If this was your guys' plants what would you do next? Should I just leave it? I have had 3 pods drop so far and I am afraid that they may all fall victim before they ripen.

A bit too out of focus for me. The main leaf vein down the center - are the white spots on the vein raised? It kind of has an edema look to it, but I haven't seen edema turn the leaf white like that. I'm more leaning towards the start of powdery mildew rather than edema because of the white - a good fungicide can take care of that. However, mildew most often starts on the surface of the leaf, not a discoloration of the leaf itself (though it can hit both the top and underside of a leaf.) So can you wipe any off at all (use a paper towel, don't touch it with your bare hands)? If so, go for the fungicide. Powdery mildew spores can be difficult to eradicate, so (if the white wipes off) be sure to give it repeat sprayings - once probably won't do the trick. Alternately, remove the leaves that have the white on them, taking care to avoid contact with the healthy leaves, and also spray the healthy leaves with fungicide. Be sure to wash your hands well before touching anything else.

Also - I see you are in Illinois, so you may have had a "summer" like we've been having here - just a few days here and there that we can actually call "warm" let alone "hot", but lots of cool, wet weather. Last week I tossed the 3 squash plants I had going due to powdery mildew - it was just staying too wet to get rid of it, and I didn't want to risk getting it on my chiles. Still, if you haven't protected your plants from excessive rain, they will drop flowers and pods because of it. If you can move the plants to an area to avoid getting them quite so wet, that should help correct several of the problems - assuming you've had too much rain in your area.

Back