• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Can this graph be used as a guideline?

I came across this graph on Quora, just wondering if this can be used as a guideline of sorts or not

Attachments

• download.png
    download.png
    285.3 KB · Views: 101
Nope not at all. Green is, generally speaking, unripe.

You can kinda almost trust SHU specs, if they're coming from a reputable source and you know that there can be a lot of variation within a given strain, plus your own perception might not jive with the Scoville scale. For instance, chocolate pods seem far hotter to me than what the SHUs tend to indicate.

Personally, I have found it helpful to use a few popular peppers as benchmarks, and I tend to describe other peppers by placing them between our right at the benchmarks. For me, it's something like Bell> Serrano> Orange Hab> Red Ghost> Red Brainstrain.... So I tend to tell ppl that, like, an Assam Yellow Ghost is between a Hab and Red Ghost, probably a lil closer to the latter.

SpeakPolish said:
That is close to 0% accurate.

Use this list instead. https://www.pepperscale.com/hot-pepper-list/

Thank you!

Bicycle808

Posted Today, 05:31 PM
Nope not at all. Green is, generally speaking, unripe. 

You can kinda almost trust SHU specs, if they're coming from a reputable source and you know that there can be a lot of variation within a given strain, plus your own perception might not jive with the Scoville scale. For instance, chocolate pods seem far hotter to me than what the SHUs tend to indicate.

Personally, I have found it helpful to use a few popular peppers as benchmarks, and I tend to describe other peppers by placing them between our right at the benchmarks. For me, it's something like Bell> Serrano> Orange Hab> Red Ghost> Red Brainstrain.... So I tend to tell ppl that, like, an Assam Yellow Ghost is between a Hab and Red Ghost, probably a lil closer to the latter.

Thank you as well!

Back