• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Can you help identify this disease?

I'm overwintering my Datil pepper and it has been struggling. It had dropped all its leaves, so I cut it back and repotted it. It started growing lots of new leaves, but they are abnormally small and soon develop small dark spots and fall off. The leaves look nice and green until this hits them.
I'm fairly convinced that this is fungal, but neem has not controlled it. I'm ready to use anti fungal chems to save this plant, but i want to make sure to use the right one. Can you guys give me your thoughts on what this might be?

Thanks.
TB
52b5a1cf7fa58743bca6b7358be61d38.jpg
e23adfb30829caefd7ce30609bae7cab.jpg
945e3cfcc518fa44d78f96d657de0eaf.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Water with hydrogen peroxide instead of water once, 1 qt per gallon of soil - use trays to catch run-through. It'll bubble up, aerate, and the oxygen that's released will nuke any fungus in the soil. It will also leave behind pure clean water. Use enough that it'll run through and push out any old stale water. Should take care of anything bad in the soil. I don't know what you got but it looks pretty damn fugly. :)

I had bad fungal problems in my 2014 overwinter and that solved it.

Also think about a myco treatment to protect the plant roots. Beneficial fungus that gets established will help keep evil bad fungus from taking hold.

Thanks Trent.
I have already tried some h2o2 treatments, but not to the extent that you describe. If I try what you suggest, are you recommending a root soak with straight 3% h202, or a more dilute concentration? I dont want to risk burning the roots of an already stressed plant.
I have been treating with myco and other microbe innoculants. If I try any kind of anti fungal, I assume those will be nuked too. Thats actually one advantage I see in the h2o2 approach rather than other chems. The fact that it decomposes quickly into water means I can re-innoculate with beneficials right away.
Anyone else have good experiences with agressive h202 treatment like this?

Thanks.

TB

troutbeer said:
Thanks Trent.
I have already tried some h2o2 treatments, but not to the extent that you describe. If I try what you suggest, are you recommending a root soak with straight 3% h202, or a more dilute concentration? I dont want to risk burning the roots of an already stressed plant.
I have been treating with myco and other microbe innoculants. If I try any kind of anti fungal, I assume those will be nuked too. Thats actually one advantage I see in the h2o2 approach rather than other chems. The fact that it decomposes quickly into water means I can re-innoculate with beneficials right away.
Anyone else have good experiences with agressive h202 treatment like this?

Thanks.

TB

When I did it, I used enough to completely drive all of the old stale water out of the pots. I had brought in my overwinters in the fall, waited until the last minute to haul them in before we had a hard frost, and it was raining. So they were SOAKED. That caused me lots of problems. The overwinters never used up the water in the pots, they wilted, they dropped leaves.. and then started getting fungus issues on top of all of that. 

I went thermonuclear on them with H2O2. Figured it was a hail mary anyway, what the hell. In some of the 5 gallon pots I used as much as 5-6 quarts. I flushed out tons and tons of stinky water. The compacted soil bubbled back up and filled the pot. (It was pretty cool to watch). Just kept pouring and pouring the stuff in the soil until I ran out. 

(Worth noting my wife and I cleaned out two dollar stores and the local walmart of H2O2 on this little adventure - I was dead set on trying to save those damn plants.)

The overwinters, within 2 days, sprung back to life and didn't have any further problems. Infected leaves eventually dropped off but the huge amounts of new growth was awesome.

I did the same thing on a smaller scale on in-the-dirt peppers in 2015 in an attempt to kill off septoria blight, that tomatoes had caught. THAT didn't work. Just wasted gallons of H2O2. I had to hand prune thousands of leaves until I got that septoria under control. Since it was in the soil, that pretty well ended me growing peppers or tomatoes again. I discontinued gardening for 3 years.. until I bought a farm.. ;)

Septoria showed up on the tomatoes my mother gave me as a birthday present, she'd got them at wal-mart. A week or so after they went in the dirt - everything else had been in for 2 weeks already - those tomatoes she got me started showing signs of septoria. Within another week, the tomatoes I grew from seed were showing signs. I tried cutting them back, eventually ripped the whole batch of them out of the ground, but it was too late. The peppers started showing it in an expanding radius from where those initial tomatoes went in the ground.

Since then I've vowed never to plant something I didn't grow from seed, myself.

Also in addition to purifying the soil with H2O2 if that *is* bacterial leaf spot try a copper spray. 

It won't cure the plant but it'll help keep it from spreading to new growth.

The downside is copper is an expensive spray.

Edit: I went ahead and made my own thread as I had more questions and not want to be a terrorist and hijack my fellow chiles thread

http://thehotpepper.com/index.php?/topic/67720-Issues-on-first-grow-of-peppers-input-appreciated!

This was a very informative thread that unfortunately (and fortunately if ya catch my drift) answered my questions on what is going on with some of my seedlings (some of them not all in the tray)-I don't wanna hijack your thread but I'll post a pic to confirm.

My question is BLS contagious to my other seedlings nearby; and also would treating my seeds with h202 first have prevented it? Can it come from soil? It seems to be relegated to my reapers and the jolokia seeds I got from seedsnow-and the reapers I harvested and dried the seeds from a couple older but "fresh" peppers. I am also dealing with heavy fungus on the cells I did first before reading about using Boiling water to sterilize the soil and kill fungus gnat larvae, as I am dealing with that problem as well! Eating my roots I know it!

The Boiling water cells to a lesser degree but still present..They're getting an h202 soak tonight I've had a fan blowing on the soil for 36h so that it can be more effective and aerate the medium. Kind of wishing I had a better draining medium instead of using fox farms ocean forest mixed with promix bx, as they didn't have hp in Stock, should have ordered it instead but I feel the FFOF is giving so much food for the fungus to thrive I think:(ugh! Guess trial and error will lead to more experience for future! Maybe just use the straight promix until they get bigger and out of the 72 cells-->3" nursery pots? Thanks guys!

Attachments

• 1520560367371.jpg
    1520560367371.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 65
  • 1520560436705.jpg
    1520560436705.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 68
Back