• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Canadian Hot Pepper Growers

Anyone from toronto? I have 10 seedlings of bhut jolokia and 10 seedlings (birds eye chilli).. Please gimme advise what is the best soil to use outdoor and indoor.. because i am planning to overwinter atleast 2 plants in each variety...promix or MG?

if anybody want a seedling trade let me know.. thanks

I try not to gamble with my plants. Somewhere between mid June and July 1st for my chiles. We had frost warnings June 8th a few years ago and cold soil. Plants will grow pretty much just as fast if left in pots for an extra week or two
People always want to plant May 24 weekend and I end up selling them plants twice, even after I warn them :)

Checking in from Mississauga here. My first year growing peppers...my 28th eating them lol!

I've got the following started in my guest room under grow lights:

Black Jalapeno
Charlston cayenne
Tabasco
Ancho
Cowhorn

I'm in the process of building a vegetable garden in my backyard and let me tell you...I HATE red clay! There's a reason one of the largest brick producers in North America had a factory down the street for 50 years.

2000lbs of sod and dirt took about 6 hours to remove and load into my pickup, another hour to unload it and 12 hours to ice my aching shoulder and arms.

By the by...if anyone in the area has some extra seedlings/plants they need to "get rid of", I'm taking donations :)

another winnipeger here. Was wondering if it was nice enough at night to get my peppers outside..
But as i sit in the garage smoking a cigar.. its still frickin cold. lol.
could be worse i guess.. oh well. maybe next month.

hey I'm originally from Winnipeg as well. Living way up in Thompson now. Growing my pepper plants entirely indoors. They're a bit leggy but I topped them and they seem to be doing okay for 6 weeks old.

IMG_00000018.jpg

some healthy looking plants man.
Nice grow. I am in thompson from time to time with work. I'll have to drop you a pm one day and we go for a beer.

I went against my own advice and planted tomatoes already, and I'm even thinking of planting my biggest pepper plants soon. I usually don't like to gamble but with the crazy heat we've been getting my greenhouse is overheating and I'm tired of constantly watering and re-potting.
I heard today its going up to 38C with the humidex and its not even June :(

I planted out my Tomatoes and some store bought pepper plants last weekend. Just couldn't stand watching them languish inside any more. I just transfered my seedlings into their final homes last night, 3 gal pots of ProMix mixed with a little composted cow manure. They'll be under lights inside until this weekend hopefully, which will go a long way to lowering my wifes blood pressure as I take all the dirt and growing gear out of our spare bedroom.

I miss Ottawa for that reason. If the weather stays so warm over there, it should be a great year for Ontario peppers. :)

no doubt...
never been to otto..but man thats some heat. lol.
its supposed to freeze here tonight.. haha. and 18 above tomorrow. gotta love the extremes if nothing else.

First time grower here in Brantford Ont. Pepper Joes Volcano in a box had excellent germination rate with his seeds - replanted them outside last week. Ever since it has been constant battle with the sun s we had all week of above seasonal temps....

I got sick of lugging 7 gallon smart pots in and out of the house, so i have just left them out on the balcony for the last couple weeks. its gotten as low as 3C here and they are still fine.Most of my plants are setting fruit even. 24C during the day 3C at night, gotta love spring

planted my crop out a few days ago here in BC, night time temps havent gotten much lower than 10*C for weeks. But day time temps have been so high they have actually gotten a little sad lookin. Im sure they will perk up when they are used to bein sunburned everyday :)

Ive had a terrible time hardening off this year, because its been average 25*C or hotter here a lot of days.

damn fireface. that some good shit. i seem to have a hard time getting fruit off the trees. lots of flowering starting. but all drop off.
however they are inside in the window as well.
by the looks of it the rest of this week and into next is going to be nice. I think its time to just leave them outside. hopefully no cirtters come along and eat the leaves off.
I hear cats love them.

Really? The cats in my household won't touch pepper plants, and their food bowl sits on the table next to my plants. A turn of the head and they could munch on leaves, but they never have.

hmm..

pretty sure i read that on here. Maybe i was mistaken.
But pretty sure i did see it somewhere.

maybe its only certain plants.. dunno what to say. lol.

I am in Ottawa, and I'm glad to see so many Canadians in this forum! I put out my peppers a couple of weeks ago when the night time temps looked like they were rising, but this weekend a cold snap is hitting again. Most of my peppers did great at the start, suffered a bit during hardening off, and are now regrowing. I was going to load some pics of this, but I haven't figured out how to do that yet.

:dance: !NICE! :dance:

Hello all...eh!
Located in London Ontario.
I decided to grow hot peppers almost 2 months ago. Though I think it is to late in the season to grow properly now, I will still try my best and hope to see a harvest.
Though, should it become an issue with weather later on (in a few months). I think I will try to clone some of the peppers I have growing and keep them over the winter to set out as soon as the weather turns again. Possible even getting a few harvest next year, since the plants will be fruiting size when then go outdoors!
I do not usually get into anything unless I go all out, I cultivate Dendrobium orchids and figured I can take on growing hot peppers to. I actually will say that it is my wife's fault, she's Indonesian and has introduced me to a variety of peppers.
Went to visit her in Indonesia, when we were still dating a couple years back. Some very wonderful foods with A LOT of hot pepper sauces & seasonings!
Now that she is here, we have been buying hot peppers from the Asian food market. So one day, I let a couple of peppers mature and dry out. Then harvested the seeds, now I have another addiction!!!!
Finding Hot Peppers for sale and getting seeds from them to grow out!
Just hope my orchids enjoy the company!
Which brings me to my #1 question...
Where can I find Super Hot Pepper Seeds or ripened peppers to harvest seeds from, here in Canada (Ontario)? I have found a lot of places in the USA & Europe, and next to nothing in Canada?
I have quickly browsed this thread and got a few names of places to look into, but anyone who knows a good source, please let me know!

Mark

Back