• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Candied Jalapenos

While at the grocery store the other day I came across some red Jalapenos.  Seeing that I opened my last jar of candied Jalapenos last week, I decided to take advantage of this find and fire up a batch.  Here are a few pictures:

9 Pounds of mixed green and red Jalapenos:
Jalapeno1.jpg

Cooking down batch #1:
Jalapeno2.JPG

Finished product:
Jalapeno3.JPG

Thanks for looking.  They need to age for about a month - I will then be shipping them out to some of you.

Take care.

TJP

LUCKYDOG you don't have to age them before you taste them. Ageing candied peppers in jars mellows, and "melds" ie Makes heat, and flavor more evenly distributed. It's mostly so you won't end up with one slice of pepper that is hotter/cooler then another in the same jar.

Thanks - I made them yesterday sorry no pics. After cutting and preparing the peppers and ingredients I started looking for my jars. I found out she used them all for Grape jelly last year and never bought anymore small lids. I had 3 Qt jars with lids so I got three large batches. I figure once I crack one open it wont last very long. I'll follow up when I open them.

Thanks again

OMG - these candied peppers are AWESOME! I ate half a quart yesterday when I cracked it open and about a half dozen beers :drooling: definitely on my hit list for another batch - thanks for the recipe

LUCKYDOG said:
OMG - these candied peppers are AWESOME! I ate half a quart yesterday when I cracked it open and about a half dozen beers :drooling: definitely on my hit list for another batch - thanks for the recipe

Try them as a condiment. They are awesome on burgers, dogs, in chilli etc...

DaQatz said:

Try them as a condiment. They are awesome on burgers, dogs, in chilli etc...
I chopped them and mixed with sriracha and sweet thai sauce last night on my burger SO good - I have one quart gone now second opening today. I'll eat'em on everything till they are gone. Im contemplating saving the candied juice mixture for mixed drinks or marinades.

How thick should the syrup be before adding the peppers? Mine wasn't very thick, not really a syrup. Used 3 cups sugar 2cups w vinegar 1/2 tsp salt. Boiled for about 8 mins, added 1pound chopped peppers and cooked for 7-8 mins. Will cool and jar then into the fridge. What needs adjusting ? Thanks, Craig sorry for the thread hijack..

CraigJS said:
How thick should the syrup be before adding the peppers? Mine wasn't very thick, not really a syrup. Used 3 cups sugar 2cups w vinegar 1/2 tsp salt. Boiled for about 8 mins, added 1pound chopped peppers and cooked for 7-8 mins. Will cool and jar then into the fridge. What needs adjusting ? Thanks, Craig sorry for the thread hijack..

It's not "thick" you check. It's temperature. The idea is too have little to no water left in the sugar, otherwise it will not preserve well. The base temperature should be around 220F before you use it. And when you put the pepper in, the idea is to cook out the water; replacing it with sugar. Removing the water from the syrup is a must to have your peppers properly preserve.

Back