• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

CaneDog 2019 Hirsute Pursuit – Rocotos, Wilds & Moar

So, here's the new glog for the coming season.  With the indoor grow culled pretty hard now I can focus more on getting ready for what's ahead.  Hoping for a great year, but I’m already a bit behind - the germinators are packed right now and I've still got a round of annuum seeds waiting for their turn.  I guess it wouldn’t feel much like pepper growing though if everything were going perfect.

My focus was going to be rocotos with a side of bonnets and some other stuff, but I found I kept planting more and more wilds. Eventually I just kinda went all-in with them and they took on co-main event status. 

I’ll start things off with some pics of some of the earlier pube’s.  There’s not too many at this point. Unfortunately, the vast majority just went into germination.

First off, Costa Rica Red.  This is the CRR with flattened triangular pods.  I also have an OW CRR that’s a 3-4 lobed “boxy” variety.  I didn't get true seeds off this one last summer, so I have a few of these growing and crossing my fingers they grow true.
20190305%20CRR%20(P)-R.jpg

Rocoto DeSeda.  These guys were from a bush I’d OW’d a few years in a row, but it didn’t make it through this winter
20190305%20DeSeda-R.jpg

Rocoto San Camillo
20190305%20SanCamillo-R.jpg

Gelbe Reisen Variant.  These are from true seeds off a plant I’ve been growing for a few years that was supposed to be Gelbe Riesen, but the pods are more orange vs yellow, rounder/less boxy, and just a touch smaller. I don’t know if it’s a natural variation or it might have crossed with a Costa Rica Orange, but it's a great plant. I have a few of these started and am curious what comes of them.
20190305%20GRV-R.jpg

Giant Yellow Rocoto.  Suppose I should pinch that bud off.
20190305%20GYellow-R.jpg

Recently hatched Gelbe Riesen sprouts (the parent plant has been a beast for me for a while now) and CAP 217 Hyper-Pube.
20190305%20Hyper&Gelbe-R.jpg

That’s it for the rocotos for now.  Will try to post up some pics of the early wilds in a little bit. 

CD

A few things happening indoors right now.

Gave this Lanceolatum a big cut-back.  I can see already it's getting it's re-growth on and this should lead to a big wave of production.
20191123 LanceBuzzCut.jpg

This is a USDA Cardenasii from a different source (Bhuter) than my producing one, which is cool because it'll diversify my genetics.  I've been trimming it's long branches back regularly as it grows to force it into a more manageable small/bushy form.  About 5 minutes after this pic it looked a lot more like the Lanceolatum, above.
20191123 USDACard2.jpg

These 3 not-purple flowered goat weed having been growing well, but somewhat slowly, probably because the room I have the tent in is fairly chilly.  I'm in no rush, but I'll probably set up the official grow room by EOM.
20191123 3Goats.jpg

Here are two recent sprouts of Cappy's OG Brain Strain Red in the square container plus a couple new-to-me Rocoto varieties in the Solos.  I have a few more things waiting to sprout, plus I just dropped some authentic Wiri Wiri seeds, which I'm pretty psyched about.  Trying not to get too many going right now given all the late producers and OW's I'm dealing with, but I wanted to get at least a few new things growing.
20191123 NewGuysAC.jpg

catchthebear said:

Glad ya got the right sized baggies!   

I cut one of my Lance's back today too.  Was getting a little gangly. 

Yep, I love the long narrow leaves and the way the plant grows - just looks cool and sort of fern-like - but at some point they seem to get a little off and I'm hoping it benefits from the trim and regains its prior form.

Good to hear you were able to have one stay true.. It's a twofer!  Pretty good odds there are others as well. I plan to stick with the full branch or total isolation next year. I wonder how many of my small bag ones are going to be compromised. 
Is this accurate to the anticipated phenotype?

Had some new varieties germinate over the last few days. I'm starting to get enough of a new group of plants to start an off-season glog, but it's more of a no-man's land grow, as I was a couple months late of a winter indoor grow and a couple months early for starting the 2020 season.  Hmm...  in-limbo grow?

Anyhow, 2 galapagoense popped the day before Thanksgiving, which was 66 days after planting.  Despite it not being uncommon, it's still surprising to me when two separate seeds from the same batch planted into 2 separate containers pop on exactly the same day more than a month after planting.  Maybe I'll call it "Capsicum Entanglement"  ;)

Also, exactly a week ago I planted several Wiri Wiri seeds - thanks Wiri Wiri!  This morning, 4 new hooks!

20191129 NewGerms.jpg

20191129 WirWiri.jpg

Awesome germination success, CD. I will
have fun watching this until it's time to start
the season here!

PtMD989 is sending some wilds my way.
I believe these are all from fiogga via Bhuter.
I'm hoping you can tell me some things about
them. I did find some info which I added to the
each variety in the list (red font).

Amarillo Chiltepin - c. annuum, small plant
Caribe Duffy - c. annuum, long skinny pods, Ref. Fire strain?
Baccatum PI63292201- c. baccatum var. baccatum, red 2cm x 1.5 cm
C. Praetermissum PI1441654 - couldn't find much on this specific accession
Cap 691 (Red Fire?)- c. chinense
Chiltepin Rojo - c. annuum var. glabriusculum
Yellow Pequin (Peru?) - c. annuum var. glabriusculum. Only one I could find
                                     was from Mexico, a variant of the red variety.

Thanks, CD.

PaulG said:
Awesome germination success, CD. I will
have fun watching this until it's time to start
the season here!

PtMD989 is sending some wilds my way.
I believe these are all from fiogga via Bhuter.
I'm hoping you can tell me some things about
them. I did find some info which I added to the
each variety in the list (red font).

Amarillo Chiltepin - c. annuum, small plant
Caribe Duffy - c. annuum, long skinny pods, Ref. Fire strain?
Baccatum PI63292201- c. baccatum var. baccatum, red 2cm x 1.5 cm
C. Praetermissum PI1441654 - couldn't find much on this specific accession
Cap 691 (Red Fire?)- c. chinense
Chiltepin Rojo - c. annuum var. glabriusculum
Yellow Pequin (Peru?) - c. annuum var. glabriusculum. Only one I could find
                                     was from Mexico, a variant of the red variety.

Thanks, CD.

I have a little info on these as Bhuter was super cool in sharing a few seeds with me :)  All the seeds are from the same shipment, along with the Bolivian SSE's - didn't I see a post that you also have the Bolivia 1946 SSE and Bolivia 2090 SSE?

1. Amarillo Chiltepin.  Variety obtained from Romy6.
2.  Caribe Duffy.  Yes. Variety obtained from Duffy.
3.  Baccatum PI63292201.  Variety obtained from Vlad/Vladan. https://pimentas.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=19882&start=160
4.  C. Praetermissum PI1441654.  No original source information on these.  It has a nice looking white, versus purple flower, and a fairly typical pod - https://www.flickr.com/photos/isabelle_goujon/15601392973 http://gardenbreizh.org/photos/sveltana/photo-548895.html
5.  CAP 691.  Yes, Red Fire.  https://www.pepperfriends.org/dbpf/cap691_001.asp?param=1&.  No original source information.
6. Chiltipen Rojo. No original source information on these.  Just a red tepin I suppose.
7.  Yellow Pequin.  From Peru. Variety obtained from Smokemaster. https://www.houzz.com/discussions/2143191/yellow-pequin

Hope that helps some.

And happy growing!

PaulG said:
Really awesome of Figonna and Bhuter
to get these out there.

I think so too!

I'm finally getting to the last stragglers for seed harvest and it's DECEMBER!  What an odd season.  Varieties ripening now include Jalapeño Zapotec, Cappuccino Tepin, Tovarii, Blue Mystery and several others.

Today I pulled pods off the Rocoto CAP 1242-X that included a few isolated pods and a cross x CAP 1491 Eximium.  The pods settled into a nice orange color and will hopefully have good flavor.  I won't have the space to grow out many F2's next season, but this one is likely to make the list.

20191201 CAP1242-X.jpg

CaneDog said:
I'm finally getting to the last stragglers for seed harvest and it's DECEMBER!  What an odd season.  No kidding!

I feel your pain, CD!

I'm just getting ready to harvest the pods off of the
c. chacoense and Chiltepin Rojo in the greenhouse.
Will probably bring them into the garage to try for
overwintering sometime in the next couple of weeks.

Back