• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Canned Chili Tuna

QuadShotz said:
What I found weird about the juice, is that it seemed way hotter than the chillis in it.

Vinegar is solvent for capsaicin. I change the vinegar in some chile pickles to control picante.

thehotpepper.com said:
Here's some interesting stuff: www.g-daygourmet.com

Thanks THP, looks like a cool company, I'm going to have to give them a try...

QuadShotz said:
I think they changed their product line, but they still make similar.

http://www.safcolusa.com/spcy_tuna.html

The ingredients are very similar, althought this one seems to be more of a sauce than whole peppers. Hmm.

Where to buy: http://www.safcolusa.com/buy.html

QuadShotz, you are right, they changed their product line according to the email I got from them. The remaining product line does look different and does look like more of a sauce, but still worth a try...

MMMMMMMMMMM...Chili Tuna is really good. I have a friend who does canning and I give him a hundred or so pounds of Tuna and he will can them with whatever peppers I supply him. I want to learn how to do the canning myself this year.

Canned Chilli Tuna

chiltun.jpg

Was intrigued by the above brand of tuna.

Wasn't about to spend $20 on a case of some possibly wimpy tuna, so I followed the company corporate site to a store about 5 miles from my house that claims to carry it (Whole Foods). Will pick up a can and give it a try...

=Mark said:
Was intrigued by the above brand of tuna.

Wasn't about to spend $20 on a case of some possibly wimpy tuna, so I followed the company corporate site to a store about 5 miles from my house that claims to carry it (Whole Foods). Will pick up a can and give it a try...

Looks like a brand out of Australia.

Hmmm, I've got a Whole Foods about a mile from my place. I'll look for it today.

I picked some of the tuna up and at first I wasn't getting any heat. The more and more I eat it though I'm starting to get some warmth, not much, but a little. The tuna's really good, nice and moist.

The label scares me, "Low in mercury"...how about, "No mercury". I know there's a potential of mercury when it comes to eating fish but this is basically saying, "Ya, there's mercury in here"....

I'm looking at the chili and I'm going to have to say it's a chile de arbol. Let's taste it and see how hot it is...

: munch munch :

Not much heat. I'd give this product a 1 for the heat (out of 10).

i tried another brands version of chili tuna after this thread first popped up. it was ok, i like tuna so even tho it's just a bit of spice its still good but i don't like tuna packed in oil so i never got it again...

imaguitargod said:
The label scares me, "Low in mercury"...how about, "No mercury". I know there's a potential of mercury when it comes to eating fish but this is basically saying, "Ya, there's mercury in here"....

the higher you go on the food chain with fish it's just a given that ya, there's mercury in there...they were probably going for "we're not chock full o' mercury"...

The same G'day company also has a pink salmon canned with chiles. It seemed a little hotter than the tuna, maybe a 2 or 2.5. Made for a decent sandwich.

Sidenote: Knowing canned tuna is like crack for my kitties, Scotch and Savina, I figured I'd let them try a tast of the chilified stuff. Savina, the usual wuss, didn;t want any part of it. Scotch on the other hand, chowed down on both the tuna and the salmon, finishing both what I gave Savina and his own, looked up and meowed like "OK, wheres the rest?"

ChileCat
Scotch!

chilescotch.jpg

=Mark said:
Came across this at the local MegaMart:

It was actually fairly warm, much more so than the G'day stuff, and had the added advantage of the garlic and onion. Obviously not as tasty as some of the personal concoctions we can whip up, but in a pinch...
i tried this too. it's nice to see a whole pepper in with your food sometimes. The taste seemed too "preserved" for me and had way too much salt. Not NEARLY hot enough, but it was kind of warm. A hotter chili would have paired better. Still, as you said, in a pinch...

New kind of chili tuna

Ok, the last trip to the Food Outlet netted me this fantastic stuff.

It was 50ยข a can, so I bought a case. When they have fun things like this, it doesn't last as they are a surplus/discount store.

S6301689.JPG

$6.00 a case..Sweeeeet!
S6301690.JPG

Can Front
S6301685.JPG

Can Back
S6301686.JPG

Continued...

Can Back - Ingredients
S6301687.JPG

Can Back - Nifty Tuna
S6301688.JPG

What it's like..I'd opened and stirred up &eaten some. The tuna was much more solid before I did that.
S6301710.jpg

It's like a Thai Tuna Salad in a can!

All those awesome things like the lime leaves, coconut milk, lemongrass, galanga, and of course the chilis. That's incredble.

It's a good quality tuna, and is in a broth of all the other stuff. Tastes fantastic...especially for the price...the average can of plain tuna here is at least 70-89 cents.

W00t!

-QS

Sounds like it would be tasty on crackers eh?

They had some similar kinds of those too, but I'm not very partial to sardines.
1.gif

The "Product of Morocco" part is kinda strange. usually the people in Morocco buy products made here. :lol:

Back