• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

Cannon Fire

I've had 2 boxes of pepper seting in the freezer that romy6 was kind enough to send me. He's one of my biggest enablers for making Hot Sauce. these boxes had a bunch of Douglahs, Brain Strains, Barrackpores, Tippens and some nice Yellow 7s in them. I just haven't been able to decide what to do with them. Then, last night while watching Master and Commander it came to me and the concept of Cannon Fire was born. I've made a couple of other sauce that favored the taste of the Carribiean but this one I would almost call Tropical. Here are the players:

9DFE7014-6C78-47CF-A5E9-9A47BD0E814F-157-0000000C4C37E3C9_zps9bf9a777.jpg

Now some of you may have never seen a Blood Orange before.

5F4123C9-A1AB-49C2-90BE-7033906323F7-157-0000000C535408A0_zps54ecad4f.jpg

And here's why it's called a Blood Orange, just look at the color of the meat of that thing.

B6C2E68C-9865-4F18-9A4A-F24F7F97EF34-157-0000000C59FC5B6A_zps3402fee4.jpg

Can you see the layers in there? Peppers on the bottom, then comes the Kiwi and Blood Orange, Followed my Mango and Sweet Onion and on top is some Sweet Potato.

04E1DBEB-0044-44FD-BDFB-9271E8AE4AD4-157-0000000C60639794_zps1216a5d4.jpg

From a different angle.

2D811807-DBAC-41EB-8522-078DA1DBBAE5-157-0000000C6686D992_zps740f5770.jpg

So Rocketman, what are you going to do when you finish it off, anything special? Well, thank you for asking, yes I am.

6FD4060B-9E4A-44CF-AB80-C11B43F1835D-157-0000000C6C6EF3C0_zpsd83e2e20.jpg

I'm going to rock this one out fermenting for about 90 days and then process and see what we have. Stay tuned Rocket Fans.

Fiddy, you got Sums Coconut Shrimp Recipe around there? I think there might just be a new little sum sum for dat ;)

Cheers,
RM

:hotsauce: Holy Frejole I am salavating immensely brother Bill. :party: :drunk:

I'm thinking you need to get your tongue back in your mouth and start planning on a fishing trip around the middle of May that's going to net you something that will do great on the grill and be ready to marry it to some of this sauce. Or....maybe a nice fresh pork loin :drooling:

• Cannon Fire looks very alluring with dem layers
  • I can see the tropical look from your pictures
  • With Jamie's peppers it should live up to it's name "Cannon Fire"
  • Great inovation Bill ^_^

Man, I knew i should have snapped a pic of those peppers all chopped up in the Cuisnart. It was a beautiful mix of peppers and the aroma coming off of those peppers had my eyes misting. I've had it in my mind to do something with some Blood Orange and Kiwi for a while but had never settled my mind on just what I wanted to do and with the combination of peppers that's in there I think it'll honor it's name very well.

Got my fingers crossed for ya bruddah! It looks like a great concept.

Thanks, it's going to be hard to wait out the 90 days but I try not to think about it much, but then as the fermentation progresses the smell of the sauce will start to fill the air and then it's kind of hard not to think about it.

It's Friday eve y'all, Have a good one :cool:

Ah, coconut shrimp. I remember doing this for one of your sauce reviews by me and FD. I think it was "The Captain's Sauce", but you've sent so many to FD that I really don't recall which one it actually was. Anyway, if I remember right, I think we had a three part process.

A bowl of beer batter, a bowl of coconut flakes, and a bowl of panko (or something dry like that.) Dredge in beer batter, roll in coconut flakes, carefully place on panko to cover shrimp. We deep fried these in batches of 7-10. FD would probably remember more about all of this.

Oh yeah, good looking start to what I'm sure will be a tremendous sauce.

… Man, I knew i should have snapped a pic of those peppers all chopped up in the Cuisnart. It was a beautiful mix of peppers and the aroma coming off of those peppers had my eyes misting. I've had it in my mind to do something with some Blood Orange and Kiwi for a while but had never settled my mind on just what I wanted to do and with the combination of peppers that's in there I think it'll honor it's name very well. …
Super ingredients … I used Kiwi a few years back to make a hot sauce but I only used 2 in it. So later I could not identify the taste in the sauce, I believe I wrote down the reciepe but never used it again for that reason and did not notice it missing in other similar sauces I made. That said, I've never tried using Blood Orange and that looks very interesting. I’m not saying that will be the case for you & Kiwi as you seem to have the sauce making all dialed in :)

I was wondering if I had done wrong by adding so much of my other-than-peppers to my ferment. Thought that maybe y'all added most of your "sweeteners" after the ferment was over. Those sweet potatoes should thicken things up and add some flavor!

Our citrus farmers are selling more and more of their Blood Oranges locally as more folks discover that great flavor. They are becoming a favorite down here. Is that the zest of Blood Oranges on that grater?

Man, I love coconut water! That was a great idea. Have you used it before in a sauce?

You could ferment sawdust and corn-cobs in that mixture and it would come out great!

Yep that's the zest and since coconut water has anti microbial properties it'll go in after the ferment is done. Yeah, there's a lot of sweetness in there but it's not going to be a sweet sauce but rather a savory one that has a lot of fruity goodness in the flavor profile.

15 days in: Snapped a couple of shots on my way out to work this morning. Everything has migrated to the top as usual. Not seeing any Brownian motion in there yet but it's still early.

73534E85-66FA-4BA3-8557-39760A88D8DD-2920-000005193AB4DAD8_zpsed39063a.jpg

Been lots if talk about the gas getting trapped within the mash around the hot sauce threads. Here's a good pic if how that trapped gas looks along the sides of the jar.

1CF28D2C-C543-41B0-BD9D-ED5E0B3D6D43-2920-0000051941EBB95B_zps1d852b9f.jpg

Not getting any sauce aroma yet either but like I said its still early and the temps have been low so it'll be a little longer.

Cheers y'all
RM

No sir, those lids go on tight enough to form a seal and when the pressure gets enough it to flex the lid up and allow the gas to escape. Love the pickles and love the jars.

This looks & sounds really good.

I am new to this & curious to know why you did not stir the ingredients? Is 90 days fermentation the minimum required for a mash?? Did you grate the orange peel in as well??

Apologies for all the questions.

Ian

Flamecycle it's easy when your fridge is already full of sauce bottles.

JW I didn't stir them so I could watch the Brownian motion when it starts.90 days isn't the min, I use 45 days as my minimum and yep that grates Blood Orange Peel is in there.

Have a great weekend y'all!

Back