• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Cannon Fire

I've had 2 boxes of pepper seting in the freezer that romy6 was kind enough to send me. He's one of my biggest enablers for making Hot Sauce. these boxes had a bunch of Douglahs, Brain Strains, Barrackpores, Tippens and some nice Yellow 7s in them. I just haven't been able to decide what to do with them. Then, last night while watching Master and Commander it came to me and the concept of Cannon Fire was born. I've made a couple of other sauce that favored the taste of the Carribiean but this one I would almost call Tropical. Here are the players:

9DFE7014-6C78-47CF-A5E9-9A47BD0E814F-157-0000000C4C37E3C9_zps9bf9a777.jpg

Now some of you may have never seen a Blood Orange before.

5F4123C9-A1AB-49C2-90BE-7033906323F7-157-0000000C535408A0_zps54ecad4f.jpg

And here's why it's called a Blood Orange, just look at the color of the meat of that thing.

B6C2E68C-9865-4F18-9A4A-F24F7F97EF34-157-0000000C59FC5B6A_zps3402fee4.jpg

Can you see the layers in there? Peppers on the bottom, then comes the Kiwi and Blood Orange, Followed my Mango and Sweet Onion and on top is some Sweet Potato.

04E1DBEB-0044-44FD-BDFB-9271E8AE4AD4-157-0000000C60639794_zps1216a5d4.jpg

From a different angle.

2D811807-DBAC-41EB-8522-078DA1DBBAE5-157-0000000C6686D992_zps740f5770.jpg

So Rocketman, what are you going to do when you finish it off, anything special? Well, thank you for asking, yes I am.

6FD4060B-9E4A-44CF-AB80-C11B43F1835D-157-0000000C6C6EF3C0_zpsd83e2e20.jpg

I'm going to rock this one out fermenting for about 90 days and then process and see what we have. Stay tuned Rocket Fans.

Fiddy, you got Sums Coconut Shrimp Recipe around there? I think there might just be a new little sum sum for dat ;)

Cheers,
RM

It's time to shake that shit up RM! c'mon... we wanna see it...

Scovie, self regulate Bro, it's ok and I promise you that you'll be a happy camper when it's ready :)

Thanks for that RM.

One more question - no salt added yet?

Yeah, but only like a couple of tablespoons. I use a starter so that I can keep the salt level low, High Blood Pressure sucks that way. ;)
Just keep asking if you have questions and if you are interested in fermenting then give the Fermenting 101 thread a read and feel free to post up any questions. The more questions that get asked the more info for everyone to have access to and you might just be asking a question that several others have.

Cheers y'all,
RM

No sir, those lids go on tight enough to form a seal and when the pressure gets enough it to flex the lid up and allow the gas to escape. Love the pickles and love the jars.

Bill, are you saying that the lids are screwed on tight and that when the pressure gets high enough to "flex the lid up", it breaks the seal and thereby releases the gasses at this point on it's own? Or, do you use the "flexing" lid as an indicator to open it a little to let some pressure escape?

What do you think is the pepper/other stuff ratio weight wise?

Me likey label Billy :party:

Using only Public Domain graphics, it took me a while to find the pic but, after a little playing around with the contrast to sharpen it up a bit, I likey too.

I really really want to try this stuff.

Well sir, you know what to do ;)

Bill, are you saying that the lids are screwed on tight and that when the pressure gets high enough to "flex the lid up", it breaks the seal and thereby releases the gasses at this point on it's own? Or, do you use the "flexing" lid as an indicator to open it a little to let some pressure escape?

What do you think is the pepper/other stuff ratio weight wise?

[font=Arial']Well, the lid isn't torqued down any more like just snug enough for me to know it's on there and when the pressure builds up enough for the lid to flex up it automatically releases till the lid comes back down to seal again. I've done all of my mashes this way using these big Pickle jars and so far all have come out good. Of course I make sure my sanitation is good while I'm packing it in.[/font]

[font=Arial']Pepper to other ingredients weight ratio, I generally use more peppers than other ingredients and in this case there’s a half pound more peppers than other ingredients and that generally fluctuates between a half pound to a pound just depending on the heat profile I’m trying for. Since this in the first batch of this I might adjust it the next time I make it depending on how it comes out this time. I have a great crew who give me excellent feedback on these things.[/font]

RM that is really looking good! Just curious, how much total will you yield once the ferment is over and its processed down? Are those 1 gallon Mt Olive pickle jars?

I'm really interested in how the acid from the kiwi/citrus will pair with the sweetness of the mangoes and yams. The boxes of peppers you started with looked like a nice christmas present!

Those boxes were a great present, Jamie is great that way and loves the return love he gets too :)

Yep, they're one gallon Mt Olive jar and I'll get 21 6oz bottles from it. If I were using industry standard 5oz bottlem it'd be 25 bottles but I'm not professional yet so I get a really great deal on the 6 ounce bottles. 69 cents and no shipping.

Flavor wise you have to remember that as it's a fermented sauce there wont be any sweetness left in it. Only the flavor of the ingredients used. For any sweetness to be in it I'll have to add it post fermentation.

Those boxes were a great present, Jamie is great that way and loves the return love he gets too :)

Yep, they're one gallon Mt Olive jar and I'll get 21 6oz bottles from it. If I were using industry standard 5oz bottlem it'd be 25 bottles but I'm not professional yet so I get a really great deal on the 6 ounce bottles. 69 cents and no shipping.

Flavor wise you have to remember that as it's a fermented sauce there wont be any sweetness left in it. Only the flavor of the ingredients used. For any sweetness to be in it I'll have to add it post fermentation.

Do you use a food mill when processing? I think I'm getting way too much spill while using mine. It's horribly bad tho!

Back