• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Can't buy 'em in Phoenix...

I went to MD a few weeks ago. Just outside Mom's retirement community, I found a Caribbean/West African market, who directed me to Langley Park to find fresh Scotch Bonnet peppers.
3446849970_70e083bdcc.jpg

This is one out of this batch...
3446880778_2851e2306f.jpg

That BIG 'un at the back left, and one of the RED ones were plenty hot.
3446844610_28c638ef08.jpg

This batch was bought the previous day. I cut a piece out of each--small ones--and munched 'em, found no heat. Roasted the "opened" one over the stove. Mom put 3 small--quarter inch square--pieces into a sandwich. She found the heat!! I wasn't going to be back home to AZ for another 2 1/2 weeks, so I just dissected them for their seeds. And have I got a BUNCH now!
If I can just germinate some and keep 'em alive for the first 3 months ;o)
kitch

peppermanbaha said:
did u save seeds. Any left 2 trade. No heat scotch bonnet ehh. Wow thats cool.

I don't know how I managed to cut little slices w/no heat. There was plenty of heat when I got further into them. I have plenty seeds left, tho. Like I said, black thumbs--I'm afraid!

The heat isn't evenly distributed throughout the fruit. It's my understanding the cells that produce the capsaicinoids are in the region where the soft pithy placenta tissue meats the fleshy wall of the fruit, especially nearest the shoulder of the fruit. The resin moves through the fruit by diffusion. Which is why so many people say the heat is in the seeds, because the seeds are right up in that area in a small pepper. But if you managed to stay away from that area, then you managed to avoid most of the heat.

Back