• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Can't say enough about Over-Wintering (with pics)

I Can't say enough about how pleased I am about Over-Wintering. Thanks to THP community with the free flowing advise.
It's such a great way to get a jump on the season, I highly recommend trying it. It's a perfect fit with the annual plantings of chiles by extending the season by close to two months or so. Attached are a few pics." A picture is worth a thousand words"

thanks Savina. Aphids in the house is the only downfall I've experienced. Probably because I didn't use the advise given  to take the extra measures to de-bug the plants before bring them inside.

o'.w', ing  a few is a great idea . i did 4 last year and was rewarded with  4 /  5 pods through the winter .  heres one a yellow scorpion ,

IMG_0218.JPG

moruga welder said:
o'.w', ing  a few is a great idea . i did 4 last year and was rewarded with  4 /  5 pods through the winter .  heres one a yellow scorpion ,

attachicon.gif
IMG_0218.JPG

sry. about the side pic. forgot about that one . lol

That's awesome! I overwintered about 15 plants this year in the garage. Half didn't come back or were put out of their misery. Half of the survivors are still stunted and under-producing the new starts but show recent signs of coming on strong. Maybe 7 or so thrived right away.

This was my first overwintering in a new location (Portland -> Boise). Despite a space heater, it gets cold out there. I tried to bring a few inside, but the aphids soon found them. This year, I will overwinter fewer - so they can stay warmer and each get more light ... or buy more lights and heaters b/c I'm crazy like that.

As a first year grower I wanted to keep my first pepper plant so I over wintered it in the form of a bonchi. It looked amazing all winter with regular trimming and once the weather broke this spring I transplanted it. While I waited for this years plants to grow my year 1 Red Savina Hab plant produced its first 50 pods for the year, still going strong.

Oddly after transplant it didnt grow up, it just grew out. Damn thing is a foot tall and 4 foot diameter lol. I intend to bonchi it again this winter along with 3 other plants I want an early jump on next spring. My Reaper, Brown Moruga, and Brazillian Starfish

HOTTODDY,
Yup, I hear ya on the obsession thing. I'm trying to scale back but the thrill of the gnarly pods keeps drawing me back in. I think I have enough homemade hot sauce to kill half of Connecticut by now!

PS-
just "liked" your fb page

Back