• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

CAPCOMS COCOA GROW 2018

Yes, I am so interested in putting 2017 behind that I am looking forward to 2018 this much.
I will be throwing a knuckle ball going into 2018.
I am procuring seed from reliable sources only and will be implementing various isolation methods as to continue a sound seed stock for future seasons.
I am also going to visit several chili head bros beginning this fall and spend some quality time talking the shop we all enjoy.
I will also be looking into some new nitrification processes as the one I have been using the past two years has let me down big time.
I will also be cutting back for the first time on my grow quantities. If I end up with 50 plants, that will be a lot! And all plants will be grown in 15 gal pots minimum.

Starting to formulate my list with,

Judys Brown Moruga
Bhutlah DM
Bhutlah SM
CPR from 2017
Chocolate Reaper
Chocolate Primo
Kracken Scorpion
7Pot Burgundy (the only non chocolate)
Chocolate MaddBalls
Chocolate Bhut
Chocolate Devils Tongue
Chocolate BBG
Chocolate Scorpion
Chocolate 7 Pot
Chocolate Fatalii
And that's just off the top of my head, I am sure more additions will follow.

Long over due update'
Tried a new product and things went bad. Grow is not dead but in a stagnant holding pattern. Started a bumper grow tonight just in case. I know its a late start but I will make it work. Been flushing and pH adjusting like crazy to regain control of primary grow. Will get into more detail at a later time on what happened and how I over came it.

My time printing tags containing pepper variety info/data will be greatly reduced in the future as the opportunity to purchase a handheld Brady printer from work was made available last month. The printer I selected is barely used and in pristine condition. msrp when new is 1400.00. I paid 200.00.

Starting to look into a lighting system as my current one is closely approaching its end of warranty period. may go with 2- 600w lights this time. May get another sunsoaker reflector as I really like its performance. I got all summer to consider options.

Finally!   Been so busy between work, job interviews, honey dos, my "18" grow and everything else that can fit in the pot of life that it has been a chore as of late to even log on here and have time to post.

All of my plants are in the process of full recovery. I was a bit worried the with all of the flushing and no way to remove the excess moisture that the root systems would take a severe hit. For those not following from past posts, I tried a additional product this year and for whatever reason it severally ceased growth and burned all new growth for over a month. With canopy not pulling nuts and water, the media tends to stay more bogged a lot longer. It is only now that the plants being in a robust growth surge are pulling from the media normally. They are really starting to look great again.

This grow is also now a lab test of sorts. As stated in the past, I am not a big fan of topping plants and do not subscribe to its practice. However, since all new growth was killed (including the primary growth) the plants have all been essentially topped. Every year seems to present something new to chew on. I did start in preparation for a failed 1st start a bumper grow. Virtually 98% of the 2nd start had sprouted and is now putting out true leaves. I will probably make room for most of them somewhere and sell locally what I dont need. Too many peppers at harvest does not scare me as they will become dried for flake/powder fairly quickly.

I added an RO unit to the grow last month. Filling milk jugs in the kitchen and transporting them downstairs got old after 3 years. Not the most expensive of units, it still gets me water down to 40ppm. That I can work with, no problem. When nut are added I am at about 540ppm @ 6.2pH. I may move the unit upstairs during the summer and add an automatic shut off. I have a 20 gal trash can for both RO and waste water. RO to the plants and waste water to top off the pool. win win.

Almost everything has sprouted for the bumper crop. I think 3-4 out of 72 did not as of yet but about that many were late comers within the last few days. All of the original crop is now putting out foliage like tomatoes on a hot summer day.
I will probably start setting up my sunshade tomorrow in prep for hardening off. 
I have some chocolate naglahs and some chocolate bhut jolokias in the mix. If they produce some heat and a good flavor I may cross them for a new *M bhutlah variety. I am growing 3 different bhutlahs this year. CS, SM and DM. really like the yin and yang of chocolate bhutlahs.

Harvest time is going to be an exciting time this year as dried pod production will be phenomenal. I am anxious to try the new dehydrator out on pepper pods. filling all 24 racks will make for a unique aromatic fantasyland.

A jungle of green has taken over the flood tables, buds are forming everywhere and all my bumper crop has been transplanted to Solo cups and dosed with Mykos. May begin the hardening off processes, will see how today goes. lots of outdoor work to do and would like to get some grow area work done as well. 
So far I have gotten the earliest start ever only to grind the grow to a screeching halt and then watch the botanical flood gates open back up in a matter of a couple of weeks. Truly a phoenix project as I was almost certain the grow was done when it burned every thing present and new for about a month. Getting very excited for this year again.

I an venturing into unfamiliar waters this week. I have decided to start brewing some compost tea. I have a few items to pick up yet and should have things bubbling by the weekend. working out my recipe for now.

Update on my grow.
I mentioned I had a seemingly severe issue that caused me to start a bumper grow. the following is what my grow looked like before it got worse and a pic as of 5-12-18.
20180421_124024.jpg

20180512_200944.jpg

Temps have gotten down into the mid 40s lately and my grow is still indoors. Lesson learned from last year.
I am approaching this year with a renewed intensity and a more concentrated approach as you will see in the future pics.

I will be interested in absolute full yield this year. As much fruit as I can get on the vine, thats what I am going for. Probably will not save seed but will be taking cuts for cloning for next years crop.

I am waiting for some ingredients to arrive in the mail to begin my compost tea.
Oh btw, my bumper grow.

20180512_201026.jpg

The flood tables are really making things easy as far as drainage goes. I just dont worry about that any more.

Finally, Mothers Day.

And the 1st wave of plants have moved to the hardening off tent.

20180513_195320.jpg

Here is a happy group of plants. You would not know they under a severe attack from white flies.
An updated list of plants that have made it from seed to this will be posted soon.

Attachments

• 20180513_195254.jpg
    20180513_195254.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 68
My updated list compiled as I moved plants to the sunshade.

Choc Naglah
JCGS
Choc Reaper
Reaper x Choc BBG v2
Reaper x Choc BBG
Choc BBG Reaper
& Pot Brazilian Brainstrain
Choc Barrackpore
Choc Brainstrain AU
Sweet Moruga Choc SB
Swiss Choc SB
Choc Devils Tongue
Choc Bhutlah BBG7
Choc Primo
Choc 7 Pot
7 Pot Original Choc Bhut
Choc BBG Madd Balls
Choc Ghost Jami
Choc Bhutlah Scorpion
CPR
Choc Daisy Cutter
Podzilla Choc
Bahamian Beast
Choc Scorpion
Kracken Scorpion
7 Pot Burgundy
Choc BBG7 Rough Rider
Choc Naga Viper
Choc Madd Balls Fat
Choc Lava
Choc Moruga UV
Wrecking Ballx 7 Pot Choc
Choc Brain Strain
MA SBN
Reaper x Choc Madd Balls
Brown Moruga
Choc BBG Long
Concord Naga
Choc BBG
Choc Moruga Stingers
Bhutlah DM
Choc Ghost Monster
Choc Reaper Scorpion
Choc Kokoo
Choc Moruga Brains
7 Pot Douglah
Choc Bhutlah SM
Sugar Rush Peach
Choc Bhut Smooth
Choc Apocolypse
Cappuccino SB
MOA Red
Choc Bhut Long
Carolina Reaper
Choc Bhutlah CS
Choc Fatalii
Choc Naga Brains
Choc Borg 9
Choc Madd Balls
Datil
Sugar Rush Red
Serrano

A scorcher of a weekend here in N. Illinois. it will take all weekend to get my 1 gal plants transplanted. the solo cup plants have another week of hardening off and my find themselves in the ground vs. containers.

Thinking seriously of commiting to only 30 plants a year in containers as with my current situation it is just too much work to go all out containers.

A bit more then half way done, but it is too hot to continue through mid day. Will pick back up this evening.
I ended up moving all the transplants out of the shade cloth area and I worked from its cover. It allowed me a few hours of extra working time.

20180528_100319.jpg

Update, only 9 plants to go for the container grow. Then I have to till for the other 70. I am beginning to remember why I decided last year to reduce my grow. And wondering why this year I didn't.

Back