• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Capehog 2013 I have no idea what these peppers are

This year will be my first attempt at the Super Hots aside from the Red Savina a few years back. I have at my disposal this online university and my 85 yr old Sensei Master mother who has had a garden in one form or another for over 75 years of her life. Old school meets new school and I welcome any and all comments and ideas to further my season.

I ordered seeds from pepperlover and from New Mexico State University with the following is my grow list so far. I'm sure I'll add in some sweets to go with the hots.

IMG_1358a_zps1a3d7824.jpg

Pepperlover order placed on Thursday Dec 27th with arrival on Monday Dec 31st

Red yellow Moruga
Trinidad scorpion original strain
Large red 7 pod
Naga Morich
Trinidad Moruga blend red
Datil
Bih jolokia
Tobasco
Bradleys Bahama
Amish blush
Wild Tepin
Most prolific
Blue Mystery

MMSU seeds not arrived as not shipping until next week

Bhut Jolokia
NuMex Conquistador
Jupiter

Seeds on hand
Red savina from last year. I'm curious to see what I actually get from these seeds I saved from the plants.
Jumbo jalapeno, cayenne I think from seeds of change or another vender.

Lowes had the Miracle grow seed mix in today. I have the full spectrum grow light above the sink. This is where we have always started the seeds. Due to arrive tomorrow is a Hydrofarm hot house with heat mat that I will start another 72 seeds in. I used egg shells for 24 seeds and regular plastic start cells for the balance today. As you all know the eggs you purchase at Kroger or Walmart are a much weaker product than those you buy from a farmer. I have both in my experiment today and we will see if it makes any difference later on.

IMG_1359a_zpse8e53782.jpg

IMG_1360a_zpsf02bce92.jpg

Our last frost date is late March but we always have a few cold snap days in April. I got caught a few years back when it was in the 70s in March for a few weeks planted a full crop and lost the majority so I will have a full house of pots if everything comes to form this spring. Plan on setting up a ghetto green house when the time comes.

All for now time to watch New Years Day football. Hope you all have a very good 2013.

Guess I just have always called gas regular even though it is all unleaded now. The ethanol really is destroying our cars and small engines but the powers that be that are making more money off of it than the alternative so we will keep using it.

The cut worm sticks are branches I cut from the overhanging tree and burned off most of them. I kept these to make about an 8-10 inch length to place next to each plant. We have always done this to keep the cut worms from killing the seedlings til they get a month or so old and the cut worms cant get around the tap root. We dont have too much trouble each year with pests but I've walked out to check on things to see a small pepper or tomato laying down and I know a cut worm had dinner. There probably is a pesticide that will kill the cut worms but I rarely use anything on the garden and probably wont even use any seven dust this year on the peppers.

I burn the ethanol crap in my trucks, but I'm willing to pay the little bit extra for the 20 gallons or so I use per year in my small engines. There are four or five stations around here that sell ethanol-free. I haven't had any more line or carburetor problems since I switched. According to this site, Jordan's Kwikstop in Joneboro carries ethanol-free.

Okay, I remember now, I have heard of that trick with putting sticks right against the stem. I use paper towel and toilet paper tubes, cut to 1" or so lengths as collars around young plants. Seems to work.

Thanks Sawyer for the gas tip. I'll burn the half gallon left through the mower and start buying the ethanol free.

Thunderstorms tomorrow but I am taking the chance today. I put out about 60 "mix" plants meaning either they came in from Joe as mix seeds or they are from the trays that I did not label correctly and have no earthly idea what they are. It will be like Christmas in July when these start turning colors.

The 60 or so plants that were labeled correctly I will grid into the rest of the garden and try some of the blue walmart bags as a test.

IMG_1443_zpsde8eb11e.jpg

IMG_1442_zps6efa76c9.jpg

Plants in dirt in April are always a good thing.

Thanks for looking enjoy your day.

Hope you've got some covers handy. We have a chance of frost over here for Thursday and Friday mornings. I think we often get colder here than you get over there, but still...

I sell golf umbrellas and have plenty on hand that were damaged over the years plus a full supply of pots etc. The umbrellas will cover a few plants each keeping any frost or dew off. I dont miss the NWA cold mornings. Didnt realize how much a difference between Jonesboro and Fayetteville temp wise until I started college all those years ago.

Well the rain and storms finally stopped and the sun came out to dry the land again. The storms did take at least 4 plants and several more are hanging on for dear life but we shall see what happens. Temps in the 80's this week with popup showers possible. June has arrived.

I ended up with 121 plants in the ground and bags from my first seed trays Jan 1st. Experience is the best teacher and I will do better in 2014. I have 6 bell peppers that didn't go in the other garden to try my hand at containers this year. Picked up a few huge pots at estate auctions so far this spring for a few buck each.

For information 5 Miracle Grow blue bags moisture control 55 quart will fill up a little over 15 blue WalMart bags. I didn't fill them to the brim or pack the soil. My thinking was I can always come back and top dress after the plants get over the top of the bag. Good bad I don't know yet we shall see. I had about 1/3 of a bag of MG regular put it in the wheel barrow with the other and got a few more bags that I picked up at various events. Next time you go to a county fair or one of the business expos take a friend and pick up as many of the bags as you can. This of course is if you want to use them for gardening or you can put supplies and the like. Gardening should be as cost effective as possible in my opinion and if I can recycle or use an item for a purpose other than originally designed then the better off for me. The WalMart bags are .50 each with tax so it was worth a try.

Yes I know my rows are crooked but by the time I was at the near end of the garden my knees were killing me and my back was just on the brink of going sideways. If these get to the levels that I've been told it wont matter anyway the spread will be so great it will look like a jungle.

Looking good. You're ahead of me on the planting. I'm holding off until this next round of cold weather gets behind us.

When I was a kid, gardening was a family affair and the rows were measured and laid out with string, everything neat and tidy. Now, I just wing it. The plants don't care.

Looking good. You're ahead of me on the planting. I'm holding off until this next round of cold weather gets behind us.

When I was a kid, gardening was a family affair and the rows were measured and laid out with string, everything neat and tidy. Now, I just wing it. The plants don't care.

36 degrees Saturday night. BOO

Last night I watched the tornado coverage on the internet West of us in Oklahoma where there was baseball size hail 90mph winds heavy rain. I decided to try an experiment today and took several golf umbrellas I can't sell due to tears in the fabric cut the handles off and drove into the ground. The storms came and were nothing too bad really but since the wind never got up I know the plants underneath were protected.

Standing water will drain soon

We will be in the high 30's tonight. I'm ready for this to be over and back to normal low temps at night.

Finally getting to post here again. We've had more rain in NE Arkansas this summer than I can remember. As of August 11 we are 2.15 inches over with more expected today. Seems like every 3 days we have thunderstorms or just a steady rain. Now I'm really glad I put 3 inches of mulch down or my garden would have lost even more to erosion.

My plants are surviving and starting to really put on some pods. If I have learned anything from this year it is to label everything from day one so I have a complete chart of what plant is in what position. At this point the only thing I can recognize is a chili de arbol and jalapeno. The rest are going to be up to the members here to offer their best guesses. I bought seeds from Judy and NMSU and several members were kind to send seeds to me this spring: ajijoe, Justaguy, Scarlet Fire, Nortexchilijs, landracer and Island Dan with much thanks to each one of them for the help and encouragement.

Now on to the pictures please take a look and offer what you think the plant and pepper might be

This is todays pick

These chocolate dont seem to get any bigger than they are now. Just a small pod.

I hope you all are having a good growing year. Thanks for looking and your input.

Back