• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Cappy's 2015 Chocolate BS

It has been several year since I have started a grow log like a newb but I enjoy this time of year starting plants.  My name is Cappy and I first discovered the Seven Pod in a seed trade from Sara R. in Trinidad in 2008.  That year I had a grow log and documented my grow of an extra brainy seven pod and the Brain Strain 7 Pod was born.  Since that time I have shared seeds with anybody and everybody who asked for little more than the cost of shipping.  I did not try to profit or chase the world hottest title, that goes to CARDI and the creator of the seven pod.  I am just a grower of limited means with a closet with a grow light and a backyard in a residential neighborhood.  What I am is proud of my contribution to the pepper community and the opportunity to shared this pepper with the rest of the world.

Last year I received some seeds from a very generous Trinidadian friend here in the states by the name of Judy.  I have dreams on making a chocolate version of my yearly hot sauce BrAiN sTrAiN.  There have been both red and yellow versions in the past so 2015 will be the year of the chocolate BS.  First round of seeds were sown last weekend January 4 and today I have my first seedling so here we go!

Not much to report on the pepper this week except they have been outside the last 10 days hardening off.  What I did do this weekend was tons of yard work trimming trees and tilling the garden and potting up some maters.  Also laid the weed fabric down and started putting pepper plants out in the yard.  The 10 day forecast is above 50F at night and am very tempted to start potting up very soon.  All the hard work is ahead of me the next few weeks dumping all my old soil, raking the roots out and adding more compost and organic fertilizers.  My back is hurting just thinking about it but cannot wait to begin.  Thanks for all the good vibes.

Are you sure those aren't plastic plants? They look to good to be real! :)  I'm amazed at how good your plants look. Keep up the good work. I posted a quick progress video, I may need to take it down after seeing those beast you're growing!

Tim

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
Not much to report on the pepper this week except they have been outside the last 10 days hardening off.  What I did do this weekend was tons of yard work trimming trees and tilling the garden and potting up some maters.  Also laid the weed fabric down and started putting pepper plants out in the yard.  The 10 day forecast is above 50F at night and am very tempted to start potting up very soon.  All the hard work is ahead of me the next few weeks dumping all my old soil, raking the roots out and adding more compost and organic fertilizers.  My back is hurting just thinking about it but cannot wait to begin.  Thanks for all the good vibes.

All looking beautiful looking good cappy :dance:

I cannot believe that I have had my plants outside the whole month of March without moving them even once.  It has been overcast and raining for the last week so no planting anything up yet but won't be much longer.  I have been procrastinating the potting up until the first of April and till the soil dries out some waiting till any chance of frost has past.  My wife threw our Halloween pumpkins in the garden last fall and after tilling last week I have hundreds of volunteer pumpkin seedlings, will save a few but will till most back in.  I have no plants inside anymore having moved the last round outside this week.  Obligatory weekly pics to show growth of the plants still in their solo cups.  On a side note I did cook up some 5 month ferment and made another batch of Brain Strain hot sauce for those who are interested in the tastiest all natural homemade artisan hot sauce, PM for details.  Thanks for your comments.

Damn Cappy those plants are freaking huge! They're absolutely beautiful. I can't get over the size of the leaves. Super jealous of your weather down there. Still a month and a half before mine can go outside. Once those babies start podding up you're probably going to get a visit from homeland sec. The heat signature that all those chocolate brain strains will be putting off is going to be insane lol.

Awesome news about the new batch. I've been anxiously waiting for the announcement that the next batch is ready. Will definitely be PMing you tonight!

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
I cannot believe that I have had my plants outside the whole month of March without moving them even once.  It has been overcast and raining for the last week so no planting anything up yet but won't be much longer.  I have been procrastinating the potting up until the first of April and till the soil dries out some waiting till any chance of frost has past.  My wife threw our Halloween pumpkins in the garden last fall and after tilling last week I have hundreds of volunteer pumpkin seedlings, will save a few but will till most back in.  I have no plants inside anymore having moved the last round outside this week.  Obligatory weekly pics to show growth of the plants still in their solo cups.  On a side note I did cook up some 5 month ferment and made another batch of Brain Strain hot sauce for those who are interested in the tastiest all natural homemade artisan hot sauce, PM for details.  Thanks for your comments.

Wow am I learning something from these photos of the Solo cup plants.  I think I've been potting up too soon.  Cappy, what will the roots look like on those Solo cup plants when you take them out?  No problems with leaving plants in small containers, I guess.   

Thanks again for your comments.  Yes the roots will have to be loosened up when potting up so they don't stay the shape of the solo cups.  It doesn't seem to affect my plants leaving them in the solo cups at this stage as they are still growing.  I will be potting plants in their final homes over the next few weeks and will post some pictures of the roots coming out of solo cups.  Remember I do have mushroom compost and some Espoma garden-tone to sustain the plants in the solo cups until potting up.

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
Thanks again for your comments.  Yes the roots will have to be loosened up when potting up so they don't stay the shape of the solo cups.  It doesn't seem to affect my plants leaving them in the solo cups at this stage as they are still growing.  I will be potting plants in their final homes over the next few weeks and will post some pictures of the roots coming out of solo cups.  Remember I do have mushroom compost and some Espoma garden-tone to sustain the plants in the solo cups until potting up.

Will be watching how you do this. I am pretty sure my seedlings in solo cups will be rootbound by plant out. Your plants look great.

Your plants are talking to you Cappy... they're saying "Pull the pin and let 'er rip Buzz!" ;)  How much longer 'til you get them in-ground, or will you have them in pots this year?

My plants are looking good thanks to my house sitter that is the reason my plants have stayed in small pots.  I am just home from a cruise to St. Maarten and put my trust in the weather and somebody who is not a plant person to just water my plants and am almost as excited as Wisconsin beating Kentucky when I got home! This glog is about my plants that will be put in their final containers this coming week.  Some pictures from the boat, some good times were had, many great friends were made, and one too many drinks were drunk and I am glad to be back with my plants alive.  Big gamble almost as big as my winning on the craps table.  Getting off the boat and finding my plants well taken care is just beautiful.

Back