• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

misc Capsicum Flexuosum

Hello all,

I have been told that the Capsicum Flexuosum are very hard to start from seeds... any recommendations on soaks and tips to help them germ...

Thanks in advance

Hey jgundo. Good to see you getting ready for the new season.

I haven't found them to be super hard to germinate, though often toward the slower side especially if they aren't fresh. Anytime I'm expecting a pepper seed to take longer than typical, I'm more particular about the quality of my starting media and maintaining optimal moisture levels so the seed can breath well and molds and such don't proliferate than I am about presoaking. When I do presoak, I'll typically use somewhere between 1:3 - 1:9 H2O2 to water for 12 - 18 hours. There are other presoak methods that probably work pretty much the same and maybe gibberellic acid, which could make a significant difference at correct concentration (I've never used it), but I really think things like media, moisture, and temperature are the more effective handles you can pull and get the job done well. Still, why not pull all the handles ;)

Hey jgundo. Good to see you getting ready for the new season.

I haven't found them to be super hard to germinate, though often toward the slower side especially if they aren't fresh. Anytime I'm expecting a pepper seed to take longer than typical, I'm more particular about the quality of my starting media and maintaining optimal moisture levels so the seed can breath well and molds and such don't proliferate than I am about presoaking. When I do presoak, I'll typically use somewhere between 1:3 - 1:9 H2O2 to water for 12 - 18 hours. There are other presoak methods that probably work pretty much the same and maybe gibberellic acid, which could make a significant difference at correct concentration (I've never used it), but I really think things like media, moisture, and temperature are the more effective handles you can pull and get the job done well. Still, why not pull all the handles ;)
i was going to do my norm seed soak, but add an additional 12 hrs with a hint of lemon juice due to them being a black seed. then again, i may try a few different soaks... I don't know just yet, just looking for ideas!!

Note: use non-clorinated water (i.e. R.O. water, filtered water, rain water or tap water left sitting for 24 hours). Soak them in a weak warm (not hot!) chamomile tea for 2-4 hours (don’t rinse) then plant seed 1/8”(heavy seed soil mix)-1/4”(light seed soil mix) deep. The chamomile tea will soften the seed coat quicker, breakdown tannins/inhibitors and provide anti-fungal & anti bacterial protection during the soak. I put my seeds in fresh aloe vera gel then plant into my medium. The aloe has: acemannan- a saponin compound that stimulates the seed/seedlings immune system offering anti-viral anti-fungal anti-bacterial (microbes, bacteria, yeast, mold, fungi) protection while in the planting medium waiting to germinate/root. Salicylic acid - enhances the SAR (increases resistance to drought and cold tolerance, abiotic/biotic stresses) and promotes rooting. Both chamomile and aloe vera are extremely useful in your grow. Aloe vera is also a good plant fertilizer supplement and won’t burn your plant or roots. I take my cuttings/clones and place the in an aloe leaf cutting then plant them into their medium. I haven’t lost a single cutting in many years using this technique. There’s serious chemistry within plants and using it to your advantage increases your success in your grow while minimizing CORPORATE PROFITS and keeping money you bust your ass for in YOUR pocket. Just offering up a ‘double-duty‘ alternative to speed up seed germination, not trying ‘soapbox’ your post. Positive Vibrations…

Last edited:
No soapboxing, I appreciate the info... my first run at wilds .. I grow 30+ different peppers every year.. looking forward to this season as I'm trying my hand at wilds.

Glad to hear.. Most ‘wild’ seed I mess seems to take longer to germinate (most of their mitochondria is intact and more robust) and a bit slower flowering but, they also handle lower temps way better than the cultivar varieties. But their fruits are also smaller. I use ‘wilds’ for breeding projects. Wilds possess some desired genetics over cultivated, for sure. Hope you have great success with your grow. Remember failing is still a learning success. Positive Vibrations…

Cut your starting temps for cultivated species of peppers by 5 F and let it rip. Everything else is exactly the same. Don’t sow the whole lot and if they haven’t germinated in 40 days try one of your soaks on the balance of seeds.

I will belabor what @cmpman1974 says here. When a lot of the info on wilds was being spread the seed stock was old and bad genetically. There are hundreds of people growing these now and seed quality is prime. C.flexuosum is probably easier to germinate than any other wild Capsicum. Even common ones like tenpins give me more trouble than these. I would bet money you get germination in 14 days or so.

Glad to hear.. Most ‘wild’ seed I mess seems to take longer to germinate (most of their mitochondria is intact and more robust) and a bit slower flowering but, they also handle lower temps way better than the cultivar varieties. But their fruits are also smaller. I use ‘wilds’ for breeding projects. Wilds possess some desired genetics over cultivated, for sure. Hope you have great success with your grow. Remember failing is still a learning success. Positive Vibrations…
I’ve seen success in aubergines and tomatoes both crossing and root stock but not peppers. The small size is dominant and not ideal.Which pepper species are you referring to? I have yet to see any benefit in using crop wild relatives in pepper breeding other than aesthetics.

for what its worth, I've found flex very hard to germinate. I've tried fresh seed from berries, seed from a few different sources and I've really struggled, more so than I have with any other wild. I do have seed coming up at present though so perhaps there is or was something about my process that they just didn't like.

Back