• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Caribbean Red Habanero

This topic has been argued about before.......just ask Omri... :)

Meatfreak's right,

What I'd add is that ........ A "Caribbean Red" is a "strain" of the never ending list of "Habanero's" (red)

Greg

Caribbean Red Habanero,

is this the same as a "Red Habanero"? Or is this two plants?

normally they are just called Caribbean Reds...and have a specific pod shape to them...for me, I can't tell the difference between a Caribbean Red and a Red Savina..

in my experience, red habaneros are a larger, and does not have the thicker flesh that the caribbean reds have...if you want a large red habanero, try the Trinidad Congo...good producers, large red pods that weigh on the average about 15 grams...the Caribbean Reds average about 8 grams from my experience...

normally they are just called Caribbean Reds...and have a specific pod shape to them...for me, I can't tell the difference between a Caribbean Red and a Red Savina..

in my experience, red habaneros are a larger, and does not have the thicker flesh that the caribbean reds have...if you want a large red habanero, try the Trinidad Congo...good producers, large red pods that weigh on the average about 15 grams...the Caribbean Reds average about 8 grams from my experience...

red savina is bigger pod and plant.

Caribbean Reds have a better flavor and more heat then a Red Habanero in my opinion.

As AJ said they are very close if not identical to Red Savinas

Caribbean Reds have a better flavor and more heat then a Red Habanero in my opinion.

As AJ said they are very close if not identical to Red Savinas

+1

For me the Caribbean Reds have a better flavor than that of the Savannah Reds. I find the Savannah Reds has a stronger pungent taste to them. As far as size goes they both grew very large for me. Actually with my new irrigation system combined with my fert regiment everything grew huge!!

I personally find the Caribbean reds look and grow quite different than red savinas and I find the Caribbean reds to actually be hotter, however since discovering that the Caribbean reds were developed by Monsanto, I now see them as an evil pepper and will not contribute to the Monsanto madness

I have Jamaican Reds from pepper Joe. Details Click here

I wondered if this was the same as a Caribbean red but my guess is they are different. Excellent flavor and heat!!

I'm glad its not a gmo product but a heirloom from Jamaica.

Red Savina pods are larger and more sculptured, where the Caribbean Reds are rounder and smoother looking...

Greg

I personally find the Caribbean reds look and grow quite different than red savinas and I find the Caribbean reds to actually be hotter, however since discovering that the Caribbean reds were developed by Monsanto, I now see them as an evil pepper and will not contribute to the Monsanto madness

Yikes! Haven't heard that! :eek:

I'll have to look into it.

As far as I know they were developed by Seminis, before they were bought by Monsanto. If you get the seeds through trade and aren't buying them from Monsanto then it's all good imo. I'm completely with you on the Monsanto hate though.

And I agree, they are quite a bit different than the Red Savinas than I grew. The Savinas are much larger, more wrinkled, and not as pointy.

Monsanto made the caribbean red....... I was thinking this whole time It originated in the Caribbean.
Nice to know one of our peppers is man made bio-engineered ..

It probably wasn't really made, just discovered

"The plant was grown from seed which was produced by Seminis Vegetable of Saticoy California(Now owned by Monsanto). Seminis Vegetable is one of the largest vegetable seed producers in the world. The plant was discovered on the Yucatan Peninsula of Mexico and was grown through several generations to be sure that it bred true. It is an open-pollinated variety."
http://www.tough-love.com/caribred.html [LOOK AT THEIR TERRIBLE PIC]

I've also seen many sources that say the discovery was "developed" or "improved" which is likely just an exaggeration of the truth. Growing out open pollinated plants is not really developing but maybe there was more to it than that?

Well mine never looked like that, so I have no problem growing them from the seed I collected from them.

I never knew about Monsanto and this got me looking. Talk about disturbing. I now will also be looking a little deeper before buying seed in the future, just on principle.

Back