• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Caribbean Red sauce

Howdy all,

I am growing some caribbean reds this summer so i did some looking around and found this recipe.

Habanero Pepper Sauce
12 caribbean red habanero peppers, stems removed, finely chopped
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 cup chopped carrots
1/2 cup distilled vinegar
1/4 cup lime juice

Sauté the onion and garlic in oil until soft; add the carrots with a small amount of water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until carrots are

soft. Place the mixture and raw peppers into a blender and purée until smooth. Combine the puree with vinegar and lime juice, then simmer for

5 minutes and seal in sterilized bottles.

Yeah FG did you add lime juice I've noticed when I add lime juice to some sauces they get a heavy bitter taste.

I've actually fixed it with a mix of honey and cider vinegar! Go figure :) as Dru asked what were your ingredients and methods?

oldsalty said:
Yeah FG did you add lime juice I've noticed when I add lime juice to some sauces they get a heavy bitter taste.

I've actually fixed it with a mix of honey and cider vinegar! Go figure :) as Dru asked what were your ingredients and methods?
With honey and ACV I've never experienced any bitterness in any sauce I've made. I will even use lemon, lime and orange peel and juice and still not have any bitter taste in my sauces.

SavinaRed said:
With honey and ACV I've never experienced any bitterness in any sauce I've made. I will even use lemon, lime and orange peel and juice and still not have aglue tny bitter taste in my sauces.
I hear you my friend it is strange with some sauces I've noticed a bitter taste on the end that is really off putting. After some trial and error I found it was when I added lime juice. And got worse the more I added.

The only way to correct this was by using honey, ACV, till I got it right. It's strange I know but doesn't happen every time. That's why I'm waiting to see an ingredient list and method to compare hopefully find something we did in common! :)

I know this scientific method works because it how the professor on GILLIGAN'S ISLAND figured out the glue they were making was explosive!!! :) lol

Back