• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Caribbean Red sauce

Howdy all,

I am growing some caribbean reds this summer so i did some looking around and found this recipe.

Habanero Pepper Sauce
12 caribbean red habanero peppers, stems removed, finely chopped
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 cup chopped carrots
1/2 cup distilled vinegar
1/4 cup lime juice

Sauté the onion and garlic in oil until soft; add the carrots with a small amount of water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until carrots are

soft. Place the mixture and raw peppers into a blender and purée until smooth. Combine the puree with vinegar and lime juice, then simmer for

5 minutes and seal in sterilized bottles.

Howdy

So i was sittin around today with this years harvest getten ready to make this sauce again( ive made it bout 10 times now) and thought i would update this thread for those of you that have shown intrest i have made a few minor tweaks to it over the last few yrs i get requests for this sauce every time friends hear im makin a batch ive left this bottled in fridge for month before opening and wow so good it will keep in fridge well sealed for easly a year.

6-8 cloves garlic, unpeeled
1 cup peeled, roughly chopped carrot (have tried baby carrots as well)
1 cup roughly chopped red onion (have tried red yellow & white all are good)
12 Caribbean red habanero chiles,stemmed (or 8 habs and 2 bhuts if you want a screamer)
1 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
2 cup water (to simmer carrots & onions)
2 teaspoons sea salt
2 teaspoon sugar
1 Large dallop of honey
4 T fresh Lemon juice
4 T fresh Lime Juice

Roast the garlic and habs in a skillet over medium heat, turning regularly until soft and blackened in spots, 10 to 15 minutes.  Cool and peel garlic.
In a small saucepan, combine the carrot and onion with the water.  Partially cover and simmer over medium-low heat until the carrots are thoroughly tender, about 10 minutes.  Pour into a blender jar, add the roasted garlic and habs, salt and sugar and lime and lemon juice, vinegar and honey.  Blend until smooth. pour back into saucepan and simmer till you reach your desired consistncy 20-25 min blend again and pour into sterile jars or bottles and let cool store in the refrigerator for at least 2 weeks before opening to let everything gell. enjoy!

Just made some fresh Caribbean Red Habenero Hot Sauce today.

Here's the recipe I used for 15 oz of deliciousness:

6 Caribbean Red Habeneros
1/2 cup diced carrots
4 Jimmy Nardellos
1 small yellow onion
1 large clove garlic
1/2 bay leaf
1 Tbsp of Salt
1/2 Tbsp sugar
1/2 Tbsp honey
3/4 cup of vinegar
1/4 cup of water
Black pepper
dash of liquid smoke

simmered for 15 minutes then run through the blender then cooked another 10 minutes or so.

Tweaked the above recipe a little bit for some Jamaican Scotch Bonnets.  If I really like the flavor I am going to call it Jamaican Sunshine.

And sorry for the quality of the pictures, it is hard to get decent pics with my phone at night without washing everything out with the flash.

IMG_20130913_242611_794_zpsc5dfdf95.jpg

The finished product.  In the back is a very large batch of pear butter and some ginger pear preserves.
IMG_20130913_010205_874_zpsbee557ea.jpg

SRBII said:
Howdy all,

I am growing some caribbean reds this summer so i did some looking around and found this recipe.

Habanero Pepper Sauce
12 caribbean red habanero peppers, stems removed, finely chopped
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 cup chopped carrots
1/2 cup distilled vinegar
1/4 cup lime juice

Sauté the onion and garlic in oil until soft; add the carrots with a small amount of water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until carrots are

soft. Place the mixture and raw peppers into a blender and purée until smooth. Combine the puree with vinegar and lime juice, then simmer for

5 minutes and seal in sterilized bottles.
I'm going to use the above recipe as a starting point using Reapers instead of the Habs. How many Reapers do you guys think I  should use in place of the habs? I'm thinking 4-5 reaper peppers.  I'm going to omit the oil, up the vinegar, add some tomato, maple syrup, and allspice. 

I just made my version over the weekend.

12 Caribbean reds
1 cup carrot
1 cup onion
3 cloves garlic
3/4 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup water.
2tsp salt

Cook until everything is soft
blend on high for a couple of minutes
pour through a strainer to catch all the seeds
Bring back up to a boil and bottle.

This recipe makes 3 woozies full + a little for tasting.

SRBII said:
Howdy

So i was sittin around today with this years harvest getten ready to make this sauce again( ive made it bout 10 times now) and thought i would update this thread for those of you that have shown intrest i have made a few minor tweaks to it over the last few yrs i get requests for this sauce every time friends hear im makin a batch ive left this bottled in fridge for month before opening and wow so good it will keep in fridge well sealed for easly a year.

6-8 cloves garlic, unpeeled
1 cup peeled, roughly chopped carrot (have tried baby carrots as well)
1 cup roughly chopped red onion (have tried red yellow & white all are good)
12 Caribbean red habanero chiles,stemmed (or 8 habs and 2 bhuts if you want a screamer)
1 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
2 cup water (to simmer carrots & onions)
2 teaspoons sea salt
2 teaspoon sugar
1 Large dallop of honey
4 T fresh Lemon juice
4 T fresh Lime Juice

Roast the garlic and habs in a skillet over medium heat, turning regularly until soft and blackened in spots, 10 to 15 minutes.  Cool and peel garlic.
In a small saucepan, combine the carrot and onion with the water.  Partially cover and simmer over medium-low heat until the carrots are thoroughly tender, about 10 minutes.  Pour into a blender jar, add the roasted garlic and habs, salt and sugar and lime and lemon juice, vinegar and honey.  Blend until smooth. pour back into saucepan and simmer till you reach your desired consistncy 20-25 min blend again and pour into sterile jars or bottles and let cool store in the refrigerator for at least 2 weeks before opening to let everything gell. enjoy!

Hello everyone, I just joined :)

I just made this recipe with orange habaneros from my garden and it is a very nice tasty sauce. I'm thinking of maybe adding some Culantro to the next batch but I have a question. Since this sauce is mostly vinegar, lime, and lemon juice with just a little bit of water can it be safely stored at room temp only by hot jarring in sterile ball jars or does it need to be processed in a water bath? I make a cayenne pepper sauce with Long Horn cayenne peppers, a small amount of extra virgin olive oil, dash or two of ground black pepper, fresh garlic, dash of onion powder, and 5% white vinegar. No water. I just hot jar this and it is shelf stable. Can I treat this recipe the same?

Thanks,
Templar

20150826_112614_zps2tgknpel.jpg

I've made a Caribbean Red sauce twice over the past month and one had 60 CR Peppers and the other had 90. One had no additional fruit and the one with 90 had 1 can of pineapple. Both were great. Its a very tasty pepper on its own for a sauce and doesn't really need much help for a great tasting sauce.

TemplarDroid said:

I make a cayenne pepper sauce with Long Horn cayenne peppers, a small amount of extra virgin olive oil, dash or two of ground black pepper, fresh garlic, dash of onion powder, and 5% white vinegar. No water. I just hot jar this and it is shelf stable. Can I treat this recipe the same? 

Hi Templar - we're glad you found us.  :)

I don't know if you can treat that recipe the same as the long horn cayenne recipe you already make.  SRBII's recipe as written certainly looks to be acidified enough to hot jar, but telling you unequivocally either way without testing it myself isn't responsible.  I see that you've ordered a pH meter for yourself though, so you will know soon enough!  Please post back with your results - SRBIIs recipe looks great.  

poypoyking said:
Tweaked the above recipe a little bit for some Jamaican Scotch Bonnets.  If I really like the flavor I am going to call it Jamaican Sunshine.

And sorry for the quality of the pictures, it is hard to get decent pics with my phone at night without washing everything out with the flash.

IMG_20130913_242611_794_zpsc5dfdf95.jpg

The finished product.  In the back is a very large batch of pear butter and some ginger pear preserves.
IMG_20130913_010205_874_zpsbee557ea.jpg
Just had a farmer friend give me a ton of pears any chance you'd share those two recipes poypoyking? :)

Back