• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Caribbean Red...WOW

I tried my first CR last night...wow, hot as HELL with that distinct habanero flavor...therein lies my dilemma. I'm still not sure if I really like the habanero/floral/perfume flavor...I don't dislike it but not sure if I would look for that taste. So what peppers would give me a comparable heat with perhaps a different flavor profile? Still prefer the taste of the Thai Dragons...too damn small and seedy for an everyday pepper though. 
Jerry

:welcome: to THP and Greetings from the Metrolina in North Carolina!

Be sure to investigate the C. Baccatum family for some great flavor and wide range of heat.
You can't go wrong with Manzanos and Rocotos, you just need to be patient &overwinter them for high yields starting the second year.

If you add habs to the right dishes, that tropical flavor compliments it phenomenally! I love cooking red beans with fresh habaneros. That pepper taste just makes it pop

Some peppers I've tried with comparable heat and a different flavour profile are fatalii, CGN 21500, Bahamian goats (little less heat from my experience) and scotch bonnets.

gfinnil said:
So what peppers would give me a comparable heat with perhaps a different flavor profile? 
Jerry

For that heat level, look to the Paper Lantern habanero. Same heat as a orange hab but totally different taste, much more crisp almost annum like. It is the only hab I have found that doesn't have that  hab flavor. White bullet habs and Caribbean Reds seemed to have the least pronounced hab flavor while chocolate habs were the most potent. 

I'm on the same boat cause i don't really like strong chinense flavor...
Try first to dry pods and use them as powder, powders retain a great scent but have a less pronounced flavor imho.
Also some chinense varieties have completely different flavor profiles like Jeff said, i prefer nagas to habeneros for example.
If you like thai, dig varieties in the annuum or frutescens family, there something really hot like Goat's weed or Donni Sali but don't expect chinense heat...
Finally try some crosses, i'm growing 7pot x c.frutescens right now that should have horrible heat level and 'dry' flavor.

:welcome:

Datil

Back