• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Caribbean Reds

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Dislike, any idea what is wrong? 
Here are a couple in clay pots and the 2 of about 30 in plastic pots. Both get the same watering and soil and all these plants were the same size before planting them in these pots.

Attachments

• clay.JPG
    clay.JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 47
  • clay2.JPG
    clay2.JPG
    108.8 KB · Views: 40
  • plastic.JPG
    plastic.JPG
    116.9 KB · Views: 39
  • plastic2.JPG
    plastic2.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 45
I would suspect the soil and lack of nutrients and how is the PH? I have 100 plants in the exact same soil that I mixed for pot up time and about 10 are having issues. Exact same water and feeding, light and temp. I suspect some plants just have bad genetics. 

JoynersHotPeppers said:
I would suspect the soil and lack of nutrients and how is the PH? I have 100 plants in the exact same soil that I mixed for pot up time and about 10 are having issues. Exact same water and feeding, light and temp. I suspect some plants just have bad genetics. 
do you think the containers have anything to do with it ?

SavinaRed said:
do you think the containers have anything to do with it ?
I am not an expert, hopefully others can offer advice that grow containers. I can say I get far worse results but I am sure its me and my medium so I always go ground or sqftg. 

I might try and get a few more clay pots for some of the Caribbeans and see if they do better when going from the current containers to the clay pots. It will be my little experiment lol.

SavinaRed said:
Are you in northern cal, central or southern ?

Northern. Sacramento. Specifically in Carmichael :)

Since we are discussing containers. Those two Caribbean Reds were grown in these:

homedepotbag.jpg

Fabric home depot bags. I believe they are 6 gallon.

I used Kellog's Garden Soil. I mixed that with my native soil.

kellogs.jpg

I didn't fertilize much throughout the grow season because I over fertilized in the beginning and had many issues. 

Overall those Caribbean Reds did really well with this setup... despite initial set backs!

Made these this morning with free containers from the grocery store for an container/above ground garden. Used an olla I got cheap at a local store with top for $2 each. I'm experimenting to see how 6 Caribbeans do in this environment.

Attachments

• olla1.JPG
    olla1.JPG
    207.3 KB · Views: 46
  • olla.JPG
    olla.JPG
    130.2 KB · Views: 40
TrueNorthReptiles said:
Caribbean reds are hands down my favorite habs. They just have a certain something that none of the other habs possess. $0.50 a piece is a steal too.
 Mine too, I have grown so many Chinense varieties over the years and every year it's different... except for one, the one I always have growing just for that unique flavor none of the others have...

The Caribbean Red <3

Back