• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Caribbean-Style Shrimp Curry with Pineapple

I got this out of the Complete Curry Cookbook 250 Recipes from Around the World. I'm still not too sure what to make of this recipe. I've never had anything like it and I'm not usually one for cooking with pineapple. This one seemed to work though. I've grouped the ingredients into the order they are added into the pan. I like to have everything prepped so it can all be thrown into the pan when needed. This is a fast dish. Other than prep, this should be around 15 minutes to make. I used a 10" saute' pan and just about didn't have enough room for it all. It was kinda hard to stir without spilling. Use something bigger or deeper.

Ingredients:

1 TBSP vegetable oil
1 onion, sliced lengthwise

1 TBSP minced gingerroot
1 TBSP curry powder, preferably Caribbean-style (recipe to follow if you don't have one)
1 tsp chopped fresh thyme (or 1/4 tsp dried)
3/4 tsp salt
Pinch ground allspice

1 very ripe large tomato, chopped
1/2 Scotch bonnet pepper, minced, or to taste (I used one large Fatalli and it really went well with the pineapple)
1 cup chopped fresh pineapple
1 can (14oz/400ml)coconut milk

1 lb large shrimp, peeled, deveined and patted dry
2 TBSP freshly squeezed lime juice
Optional Fresh thyme sprigs for garnish

Preparation:

1. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring until starting to soften, about three minutes. Add ginger, curry powder, thyme, salt and allspice; cook stirring, until onion is soft and spices are fragrant, about 2 minutes
  2. Stir in tomato, Scotch Bonnet pepper and pineapple; cook, stirring, until tomato starts to soften, about 2 minutes. Add coconut milk and bring to a simmer, scraping up bits stuck to pan. Reduce heat and boil gently, stirring often, until pineapple is almost tender, about 3 minutes.
  3. Stir in shrimp. Reduce heat and simmer gently, stirring often, just until shrimp are pink and opaque, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in lime juice and season to taste with additional salt in necessary. Serve garnished with thyme

Tips:

If a very ripe tomato is not available, substitute 1 cup (250ml) drained canned diced tomatoes.

In place of fresh pineapple, substitute 1 can (14oz/398ml) pineapple tidbits, drained, and add with the shrimp in step 3.

This is the Caribbean-style Curry powder I used.

Makes 1 cup

Ingredients

2 tablespoons cumin seeds
1 tablespoon coriander seed
1 tablespoon poppy seed
1 tablespoon mustard seeds (brown are preferred)
1 tablespoon whole cloves
1 tablespoon peppercorn
2 tablespoons ground turmeric
1 tablespoon ground ginger (Jamaican if available)

Directions

1. Add the cumin, coriander, poppy and mustard seeds to a nonstick pan, toast them over medium heat until the mustard seeds start to jump about.
  2. Add the cloves and pepper and mix.
  3. Remove from heat and let cool on a plate or the powder will become cake like from the oils when grinding. Once cool grind the mixture either with a mortar or a food processor/blender. I used a coffee bean grinder. Make sure to clean it before and after use.
  4. When finely ground, mix well with the turmeric and ginger.
  5. Put the mixture through a fine sieve and store in a covered glass jar.

Back