• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Carnitas sushi rolls- BAM!!!

Really been craving sushi but can't eat out anymore due to a shellfish allergy I developed eating too much sushi. 

I bought all the stuff to make some at home for wifey and me and had the brilliant or shitty idea of making some out of carnitas meat. 

Here's the game plan.

I'm currently smoking a porkloin over alder and peach wood. seasoned with toasted cumin, smoked goats weed and smoked pequins, garlic and some other random seasonings. 

As for the rolls, I was going to do Cilantro lime rice outside, inside, roasted pablano and carnitas meat, I haven't decided where the avocado and pickled red onions are going to go. Thinking either would make a nice garnish ontop while the pickled red onion could add a nice color contrast on the inside. 

I also got some panko crumbs so can make crunch rolls and sriracha mayo , wasabi ect. maybe sprinkle a little green onion over the top for color. 

Opinions and suggestions GO!

grantmichaels said:
can't say re cotija, but the other two cause less lactose trouble that cheddar ... the softer, the worse ... parm/swiss/gruyere don't even bother me ...

I cannot imagine not being able to eat cheese.

I thought that eating cheese n' sheeit was in the 10 Commandments.

Or maybe it was Constitution or some such.

One of those...

I dunno'.

Ain't cheese the beef version of bacon?

tctenten said:
#cheesegate

Never thought that was possible! Wow!

Love the sushi rolls but what exactly made the meat carnitas and not BBQ/pulled pork, since carnitas are made by slow cooking cuts of pork submerged in lard. Just curious! I was expecting something different. 

#toastgate was a classic... do you toast the inside, the outside, both, always, or never? Oh wait it depends on if it's a hero or sub... but... what is the difference? :lol: Loved toast gate.

#lettucegate is the oldest but never got a proper hashstag. There.

Geeme's black pepper is just a preference, she never claimed a rule, so not a gate lol... just hundreds of posts about it. ;)

So is #cottagegate

cottage_industry.jpg

D3monic said:
The fact I seasoned it like I do carnitas and not bbq'd
The Hot Pepper said:
Never thought that was possible! Wow!
Love the sushi rolls but what exactly made the meat carnitas and not BBQ/pulled pork, since carnitas are made by slow cooking cuts of pork submerged in lard. Just curious! I was expecting something different.
The fact I seasoned it like I do carnitas and not bbq'd. It was smoked but then finished in the oven with its own juices till it fell apart along with caned diced peppers and a pack of frontera carnitas sauce

Sounds good but carnitas never go on a smoker or grill, or in an oven, they come out of a vat of lard and that's it, like confit. Turned up at the end to make crispy. I'd say you have some killer pulled pork. Pulled pork can be rubbed with various flavors but it's still BBQ. ;)

I've seen people do hybrid cooks but the lard step has to be in there imo. Even those are a stretch.

I bet the leftovers are awesome. This is just awesome pulled pork no matter what you call it! I don't care! Post up some tacos!

Back